Re: In need of a new hi-end 2 channel field recorder

Subject: Re: In need of a new hi-end 2 channel field recorder
From: elkhornson
Date: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:39 am ((PST))
I had the Sound Devices 744T and it was a very dated design that depended o=
n an internal hard drive for recording and backups to a CF card slot. Sound=
 Devices has excellent analog electronics but they move at a glacial pace t=
o update their models. I replaced the 744T with the SD 633 that combines a =
mixer with the recorder together and is no larger in size than the 744T and=
 much more advanced internally. =0D
=0D
In addition to the pre-amp quality the quality of the headphone amp for mon=
itoring also varies greatly between recorders and for low level nature reco=
rdings this was an important aspect of my purchase decision. =0D
=0D
Some older recorders like the Sound Devices 744T have had limitations with =
their use of FAT32 for the file system and this limits the file size and he=
nce the duration of recordings.