5. Re: Mic sensitvity and noise

Subject: 5. Re: Mic sensitvity and noise
From: myotisone
Date: Wed Aug 3, 2016 1:46 pm ((PDT))
Hello Klas,=0D
=0D
I think there is always a risk with forum threads going around in circles a=
 bit.=0D
=0D
My original post was based on a table that combined mic sensitivity and sel=
f noise to determine the pre-amp spec needed to ensure the pre-amp noise di=
dn't dominate over (to use your words) the mic self noise.=0D
=0D
So it follows that if you use this table (or John's spreadsheet) to ensure =
the pre-amp noise is less than the total mic noise (based on self noise and=
 sensitivity) its the microphone self noise value that determines how quiet=
 your recording will be.=0D
=0D
I think the point that was being made (not by me) was that regardless of mi=
c sensitivity, the recorded noise can never be better than the mic noise fl=
oor, so that is the only number that really matters when comparing the "pot=
ential" lowest total recorded noise.=0D
=0D
That table is also useful in supporting your other point, as it makes it ob=
vious that for any given mic, of specific sensitivity and noise floor, whet=
her improving pre-amp spec will or will not improve  the recorded noise.=0D
=0D
I have found this whole thread a bit of a sound epiphany, in terms of when =
a high quality pre-amp will actually make any difference to noise quality. =
 =0D
=0D
For most of the mics I can afford, there is no point in getting anything be=
tter than my Sony M10. I have also realised that to take advantage of the b=
etter pre-amp in my new Fostex FR2-le, I'm going to have to buy mics that a=
re more money than I really want to spend !!=0D
=0D
Cheers,=0D
=0D
Graham