[Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6623

To: "" <>
Subject: [Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6623
From: "" <>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2016 08:19:00 +0000
There are 3 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1a. Re: Sony ECM-979 MS
    From: Flawn Williams
1b. Re: Sony ECM-979 MS
    From: Kevin Lucas

2. FW: Recording Pelagic Bird Calls

Messages
1a. Re: Sony ECM-979 MS
    Posted by: "Flawn Williams"  flawn1951
    Date: Thu Jul 7, 2016 5:20 am ((PDT))

One of the lesser-known aspects of Mid-Side miking is that the decoding process
is reversible.

Let’s say you have a stereo recording from an MS microphone like the Sony
ECM-979, which does not offer Mid and Side outputs but instead decodes those
signals to Left and Right before exiting the mic (with, apparently, a
two-position switch for 90 or 120 degree image width).

You can run that Left and Right audio through an MS decoder plug-in in any
popular DAW. What you will get out of that plug-in will be the Mid and Side
signals! You can then apply processing to one or the other channels (say, to
filter bass rumble wind noise from the Side signal), and then run the Mid and
Side signals through an MS decoder again to re-derive a Left and Right image.

If you don’t have a purpose-built MS decoder plug-in (free ones are available
for most DAW formats), or if you want to do MS decoding using a hardware mixing
board, you can do that as long as you have a means of polarity-inverting the
Side signal. It takes up three channels on the mixer: one for the Mid signal
(panned center), one for the Side signal (panned left), and one for a
polarity-inverted feed of the Side signal (panned right). The two faders for
the Side signals should be grouped for equal loudness.

One thing to note about at least some of those inexpensive Sony “MS” mics,
though, is that they did not use a forward facing mid mic and a side-facing
bidirectional mic like true Mid Side pairs. Instead they used an array of three
cardioid mics facing left, center, and right, and mixed those to achieve their
two channel stereo output.

What’s the big deal about Mid Side? It always has a mic element facing the
center, so the center of your image has full high frequency detail. Then you
can add in as much Side signal as you like to widen the stereo image. XY
stereo, in contrast, uses two coincident cardioid mics facing 45 degrees left
and 45 degrees right of center. That means that the center of your image is 45
degrees off-axis for both of those mikes. Unless your cardioid mikes have
perfect directional patterns across all frequencies (and let’s face it, almost
none do), the high frequency content of the center of your image will be
degraded in XY.

—Flawn

> On Jul 7, 2016, at 4:23 AM,  wrote:
>
> 3a. Re: Sony ECM-979 MS
>    Posted by: "Scott Fraser"  scottbfraser
>    Date: Wed Jul 6, 2016 9:34 am ((PDT))
>
> < " I believe you only get decoded LR output from these." meaning what
> please? Excuse my ignorance, but M/S is something I’ve not ventured into
> before. >
>
> The output of an MS array is not stereo, but rather components (forward
> facing mono & a side facing mono mix of left + right, out of polarity.) This
> raw signal needs to be decoded with an MS matrix in order to derive true
> stereo, i.e. what was to the left of the mic comes mostly out of the left
> speaker, etc. I believe the Sony MS mics (relying on 20+ year old memory of
> using these mics,) output decoded Left Right stereo, & do not give you access
> to the raw mid & side components. This is only of importance if you have an
> interest in altering the width of the decoded stereo signal. With the raw MS
> signal one can adjust the stereo width, from 100% compatible mono, through to
> somewhat wider than XY stereo. Personally, I don’t think that’s a big
> deal, though film & video post production mixers seem to like having that
> option.
> SF

Messages in this topic (6)
1b. Re: Sony ECM-979 MS
    Posted by: "Kevin Lucas"  kslbirder
    Date: Thu Jul 7, 2016 7:41 am ((PDT))

Flawn,
I'm a newbie and lurker on the naturerecordists group. I've only done a
very little simple recording. I don't have any Sony Mid Side equipment.
Your explanation is superb. Thank you for the effort you put into it. I
hope for the sake of lots of people that you write a lot.
Kevin Lucas
Selah, WA

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 5:20 AM, Flawn Williams
[naturerecordists] <> wrote:

> [...]
> before. >
> >
> > The output of an MS array is not stereo, but rather components (forward
> facing mono & a side facing mono mix of left + right, out of polarity.)
> This raw signal needs to be decoded with an MS matrix in order to derive
> true stereo, i.e. what was to the left of the mic comes mostly out of the
> left speaker, etc. I believe the Sony MS mics (relying on 20+ year old
> memory of using these mics,) output decoded Left Right stereo, & do not
> give you access to the raw mid & side components. This is only of
> importance if you have an interest in altering the width of the decoded
> stereo signal. With the raw MS signal one can adjust the stereo width, from
> 100% compatible mono, through to somewhat wider than XY stereo. Personally,
> I don’t think that’s a big deal, though film & video post production

Messages in this topic (6)
2. FW: Recording Pelagic Bird Calls
    Posted by:
    Date: Thu Jul 7, 2016 9:43 am ((PDT))

Mark is having difficulty posting to this forum, so I am passing this along.
For those of you unfamiliar with pelagic birding in the U.S., the area about
50km offshore of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina is the hotbed of pelagic birding
in the Eastern U.S. because the continental shelf is very narrow, and the
confluence of the Gulf Stream and the Labrador Current.

Russ Wigh