Re: iFi nano iDSD

Subject: Re: iFi nano iDSD
From: oatcruncher
Date: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:02 pm ((PST))
Hi Jason,=0D
Thanks for your reply. Since starting the thread I've now purchased one of =
these little beauties. The reason I originally wanted an opinion on this un=
it was because I intended to do away with my tower computer. This would mea=
n me losing my Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard, which would be a large los=
s. I used it with my six year old Alesis M1 520 active near field monitor s=
peakers (the mk 1 version). My tower would be replaced by my Dell Latitude =
E6440 laptop, which has an i7 processor with 16gb of memory and an SSD. Thi=
s is more than adequate for most of my tasks. I've bought a dock for it whi=
ch will sit on my workstation with monitor, keyboard, mouse and hard disk c=
addy permanently attached, so that I can use it instantly as a primary comp=
uter or, by pressing two release buttons take it away and use as a laptop.=
=0D
Back to the iFi. So far I've not tried it purely as a soundcard with my spe=
akers, but I have tried it with my Sennheiser headphones and a CD of Nicola=
 Benedetti playing violin. All I could say was WOW! I'd read somewhere that=
 the headphone output wasn't that brilliant, but to my tired old ears what =
I heard was just superb. The clarity of high frequency notes was nothing sh=
ort of amazing. As soon as I have tried it with my speakers I'll report bac=
k. At the moment chaos is reigning all through the house, with new carpetin=
g and other work about to be done not only in my 'studio' but elsewhere thr=
oughout the house. Timing all this with the delivery of new lounge furnitur=
e etc is making wonder why I agreed to it all!!  =0D
Have you tried yours through speakers Jason?=0D
Max