Re: Using Audacity and Raven on a touch screen tablet

Subject: Re: Using Audacity and Raven on a touch screen tablet
From: "Peter Shute" pshute2
Date: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:25 am ((PST))
Thanks, Gianni. Are you speaking from experience there? If you're using a W=
indows tablet, can you tell me if it allows you to zoom any program so that=
 you can easily tap a small button? I regularly use Windows software by rem=
ote control on my iPad, and I can do that. It's a little tedious, but very =
doable. But I don't think I can actually listen to the audio that way.=0D
=0D
On a PC, I would use Audacity mainly with keyboard shortcuts. Is it possibl=
e to force the virtual keyboard to appear at any time, or will it only appe=
ar when a text field has focus, like an iPad?=0D
=0D
Raven should have more shortcut keys, it's one of my main complaints about =
it, so it would definitely need the buttons and menus to be usable. I belie=
ve you can use a Bluetooth mouse with at least some tablets, but if you add=
 that and a keyboard, there's little point using a tablet, and not a normal=
 laptop.=0D
=0D
Peter Shute=0D
=0D
Sent from my iPad=0D
=0D
On 23 Jan 2016, at 5:53 AM, Gianni Pavan <gian=
> [naturerecordists] <<ma=
ilto:>> wrote:=0D
=0D
=0D
=0D
Hi, I fear it could be quite difficult to use those programs on a tablet. B=
oth are intensively based on point-and-click operations on tiny buttons and=
 menus. Difficult task with big fingers on too tiny buttons and menus. A pe=
n could be a solution, not easy, but at least allows to click in right plac=
e. However, in many cases almost impossible. The keyboard issue is a bit le=
ss problematic, usually pop-up keyboards have large buttons. I have all the=
se problems with other software. User interfaces must be completely redesig=
ned for tablet use.=0D
=0D
Gianni=0D
=0D
> [naturerecordists] <=
m<>>:=0D
=0D
=0D
You can use a type cover<http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pd=
p/Surface-Pro-4-Type-Cover/productID.325723100> so it gets more similar to =
at laptop. You can use a mouse or pen as well. The screen is usable for typ=
ing but a real keybord is nicer.=0D
I'm using a iPad Pro myself and i use a type cover (it feels like using a l=
aptop) and a pencil to edit images.=0D
An SSD disk makes files open and save faster and also doing like noise redu=
ction and other stuff because it reads and writes files a lot faster from t=
he disk.=0D
=0D
H=C3=A5kan=0D
=0D
=0D
=0D
=0D
=0D
=0D
--=0D
Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali=0D
Universit=C3=A0 degli Studi di Pavia=0D
Via Taramelli 24, 27100 Pavia=0D
http://www.unipv.it/cibra=0D
http://mammiferimarini.unipv.it=0D