[Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6451

To: "" <>
Subject: [Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6451
From: "" <>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 08:21:45 +0000
There are 10 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1a. Re: Digest Number 6450
    From: Flawn Williams
1b. Re: Digest Number 6450
    From: umashankar
1c. Re: Windows 10 and .wav files
    From: Peter Shute
1d. Fwd: [Nature Recordists] Re: Windows 10 and .wav files
    From: Peter Shute
1e. New book: Voices of the Wild
    From: Bernie Krause
1f. Re: New book: Voices of the Wild
    From: Diane Moser
1g. Re: Windows 10 and .wav files
    From:  mntncougar
1h. Re: New book: Voices of the Wild
    From:  madl74
1i. Re: Windows 10 and .wav files
    From: umashankar
1j. Re: New book: Voices of the Wild
    From: Bernie Krause

Messages
1a. Re: Digest Number 6450
    Posted by: "Flawn Williams"  flawn1951
    Date: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:43 am ((PDT))

Yes, several recorders can make multiple copies of audio at once. Some do it to
different files on the same storage card, often with different level settings
as a protection against overload distortion. Others can record to multiple
storage cards or hard drives simultaneously.

There are also nifty little separate battery-operated devices that can copy
files from a storage card to a hard drive, flash drive or other storage option
in the field. One that I use is the Kingston MobileLite.

—Flawn Williams

> 1a. Re: Windows 10 and .wav files
>    Posted by: "Peter Shute"  pshute2
>    Date: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:55 pm ((PDT))
>
> David Brinicombe wrote:
>> The message as ever is to backup everything. I'm a backup
>> freak with Gigs of backups and it's all there if I can find it. :-)
>
> The problem here though is that lots of us make recordings that only exist on
> the memory card in the recorder until we make a backup using the computer. If
> simpy plugging it into the computer damages the file then that's that unless
> something like Audacity can rescue it.
>
> I'm under the impression that more expensive recorders make a backup as you
> record?
>
> Peter Shute

Messages in this topic (10)
1b. Re: Digest Number 6450
    Posted by: "umashankar"  umashanks
    Date: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:13 am ((PDT))

I have been using Windows 10 from early beta stages and have so far not seen
this problem. I record on zoom h2n and H6 and usually copy the files to hard
disk by connecting the recorder with a usb cable. I have also copied files sent
on a usb stick without trouble.

Umashankar.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Yes, several recorders can make multiple copies of audio at once. Some do it to
different files on the same storage card, often with different level settings
as a protection against overload distortion. Others can record to multiple
storage cards or hard drives simultaneously.

There are also nifty little separate battery-operated devices that can copy
files from a storage card to a hard drive, flash drive or other storage option
in the field. One that I use is the Kingston MobileLite.

—Flawn Williams

> 1a. Re: Windows 10 and .wav files
>    Posted by: "Peter Shute"  pshute2
>    Date: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:55 pm ((PDT))
>
> David Brinicombe wrote:
>> The message as ever is to backup everything. I'm a backup
>> freak with Gigs of backups and it's all there if I can find it. :-)
>
> The problem here though is that lots of us make recordings that only exist on
> the memory card in the recorder until we make a backup using the computer. If
> simpy plugging it into the computer damages the file then that's that unless
> something like Audacity can rescue it.
>
> I'm under the impression that more expensive recorders make a backup as you
> record?
>
> Peter Shute

------------------------------------
Posted by: Flawn Williams <>
------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Messages in this topic (10)
    Date: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:02 pm ((PDT))

In the threads I've read about it, there are also Windows 10 users who can't
reproduce the problem. It may be specific to a particular build of Windows
and/or card readers.

Peter Shute

Sent from my iPad

On 19 Aug 2015, at 1:13 am, umashankar
<> [naturerecordists]
<<>>

Sent from Mail<http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

Yes, several recorders can make multiple copies of audio at once. Some do it to
different files on the same storage card, often with different level settings
as a protection against overload distortion. Others can record to multiple
storage cards or hard drives simultaneously.

There are also nifty little separate battery-operated devices that can copy
files from a storage card to a hard drive, flash drive or other storage option
in the field. One that I use is the Kingston MobileLite.

—Flawn Williams

> 1a. Re: Windows 10 and .wav files

>    Posted by: "Peter Shute" <>
> pshute2

>    Date: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:55 pm ((PDT))

> David Brinicombe wrote:

>> The message as ever is to backup everything. I'm a backup

>> freak with Gigs of backups and it's all there if I can find it. :-)

> The problem here though is that lots of us make recordings that only exist on
> the memory card in the recorder until we make a backup using the computer. If
> simpy plugging it into the computer damages the file then that's that unless
> something like Audacity can rescue it.

> I'm under the impression that more expensive recorders make a backup as you
> record?

> Peter Shute

------------------------------------

Posted by: Flawn Williams <<>>

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Messages in this topic (10)
    Date: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:07 pm ((PDT))

I've just been reading about the Kingston MobileLite, Flawn, but it's not clear
how you operate it. Does one need a phone to instruct it to copy from the card
to the other device?

Can you also copy the files to the phone? I assume you can at least listen to
the files via the phone?

Peter Shute

Sent from my iPad

On 18 Aug 2015, at 10:43 pm, Flawn Williams <>
[naturerecordists]
<<>>
wrote:

Yes, several recorders can make multiple copies of audio at once. Some do it to
different files on the same storage card, often with different level settings
as a protection against overload distortion. Others can record to multiple
storage cards or hard drives simultaneously.

There are also nifty little separate battery-operated devices that can copy
files from a storage card to a hard drive, flash drive or other storage option
in the field. One that I use is the Kingston MobileLite.

—Flawn Williams

> 1a. Re: Windows 10 and .wav files

> Posted by: "Peter Shute" <> pshute2

> Date: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:55 pm ((PDT))

> David Brinicombe wrote:

>> The message as ever is to backup everything. I'm a backup

>> freak with Gigs of backups and it's all there if I can find it. :-)

> The problem here though is that lots of us make recordings that only exist on
> the memory card in the recorder until we make a backup using the computer. If
> simpy plugging it into the computer damages the file then that's that unless
> something like Audacity can rescue it.

> I'm under the impression that more expensive recorders make a backup as you
> record?

> Peter Shute

Messages in this topic (10)
1e. New book: Voices of the Wild
    Posted by: "Bernie Krause"  bigchirp1
    Date: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:41 pm ((PDT))

My new book, Voice of the Wild: Animal Songs, Human Din, and the Call to Save
Natural Soundscape, has just been published by Yale University Press and is
available through most local book stores and Amazon.

An overview of the new field of soundscape ecology, it explores the many
disciplines � scientific and cultural � that are informed through the lens of
this fabulous subject.

The re-issue of Wild Soundscapes: Discovering the Voice of the Natural World,
also to be published by Yale, will be released in April, 2016. An overall guide
for beginners and those with some basic knowledge of listening and recording,
it covers a much wider breadth of territory than the last version (2002) and
was carefully vetted by both Martyn Stewart and Dan Dugan, who were ruthless,
by the way.

Enjoy!
Bernie Krause

Wild Sanctuary
POB 536
Glen Ellen, CA 95442
707-996-6677
http://www.wildsanctuary.com

SKYPE: biophony
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/BernieKrauseAuthor
TED Global talk:
http://www.ted.com/talks/bernie_krause_the_voice_of_the_natural_world.html

Messages in this topic (10)
1f. Re: New book: Voices of the Wild
    Posted by: "Diane Moser"  cbbmo
    Date: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:22 pm ((PDT))

Congratulations Bernie!

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 3:41 PM, Bernie Krause
[naturerecordists] <> wrote:

> My new book, *Voice of the Wild: Animal Songs, Human Din, and the Call to
> Save Natural Soundscape, *has just been published by Yale University
> Press and is available through most local book stores and Amazon.
>
> An overview of the new field of soundscape ecology, it explores the many
> disciplines – scientific and cultural – that are informed through the
> lens of this fabulous subject.
>
> The re-issue of *Wild Soundscapes: Discovering the Voice of the Natural
> World, *also to be published by Yale, will be released in April, 2016. An
> overall guide for beginners and those with some basic knowledge of
> listening and recording, it covers a much wider breadth of territory than
> the last version (2002) and was carefully vetted by both Martyn Stewart and
> Dan Dugan, who were ruthless, by the way.
>
> Enjoy!
> Bernie Krause
>

> Wild Sanctuary
> POB 536
> Glen Ellen, CA 95442
> 707-996-6677
> http://www.wildsanctuary.com
>
> SKYPE: biophony
> FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/BernieKrauseAuthor
> TED Global talk:
> http://www.ted.com/talks/bernie_krause_the_voice_of_the_natural_world.html

Messages in this topic (10)
1g. Re: Windows 10 and .wav files
    Posted by:   mntncougar
    Date: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:53 pm ((PDT))

Most recorders can be connected to the computer  via USB, which means you
never touch the card and there is much less chance of  damage.

Don  Morgan
Coventry, Ct.

Messages in this topic (10)
1h. Re: New book: Voices of the Wild
    Posted by:   madl74
    Date: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm ((PDT))

Bernie,

It seems to have appeared in the UK only as an Amazon Kindle version but I'm
looking for somewhere to get an imported hard copy.

Any suggestions for a source to the UK?

David Brinicombe

Messages in this topic (10)
    Date: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:41 pm ((PDT))

Don’t most flash cards have a write protect tab? Will that protect the files
from being changed ?

umashankar

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Yes, several recorders can make multiple copies of audio at once. Some do it to
different files on the same storage card, often with different level settings
as a protection against overload distortion. Others can record to multiple
storage cards or hard drives simultaneously.

There are also nifty little separate battery-operated devices that can copy
files from a storage card to a hard drive, flash drive or other storage option
in the field. One that I use is the Kingston MobileLite.

—Flawn Williams
> 1a. Re: Windows 10 and .wav files
>    Posted by: "Peter Shute" <>
> pshute2
>    Date: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:55 pm ((PDT))
>
> David Brinicombe wrote:
>> The message as ever is to backup everything. I'm a backup
>> freak with Gigs of backups and it's all there if I can find it. :-)
>
> The problem here though is that lots of us make recordings that only exist on
> the memory card in the recorder until we make a backup using the computer. If
> simpy plugging it into the computer damages the file then that's that unless
> something like Audacity can rescue it.
>
> I'm under the impression that more expensive recorders make a backup as you
> record?
>
> Peter Shute

------------------------------------
Posted by: Flawn Williams <<>>
------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

------------------------------------
Posted by: Peter Shute <>
------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Messages in this topic (10)
    Date: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:43 pm ((PDT))

Lemme know if you have trouble scoring a copy, David, and I�ll arrange for our
local book store to mail to places where it�s otherwise unavailable. At the
moment, I don�t know if Yale has distribution in the UK. And because I�ll be
pre-occupied with family matters this week, won�t be able to find out until
next week, earliest. But do advise if you have any luck.

Bernie

On Aug 18, 2015, at 6:27 PM,  [naturerecordists]
<> wrote:

> Bernie,
>
> It seems to have appeared in the UK only as an Amazon Kindle version but I'm
> looking for somewhere to get an imported hard copy.
>
> Any suggestions for a source to the UK?
>
> David Brinicombe
>

> ------------------------------------
> Posted by:
> ------------------------------------

> sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause.
>

> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links

Wild Sanctuary
POB 536