2. Re: Weatherproofing Mics?

Subject: 2. Re: Weatherproofing Mics?
From: "Richard Youell" ryouell
Date: Tue Aug 4, 2015 1:02 pm ((PDT))
Cool! A camo version. eBay is a wonderful thing.

Sent from my iPhone

cordists] <> wrote:

> That's an interesting idea Richard, thank you. I've just ordered a Camo v=
ersion ( from China ). Even if I only end up using the elasticated headband=
 part of it to mount my own top canopy ideas onto, it's worth =A32.

naturerecordists]" <> wrote:

> As Dan points out the =91hogs hair=92 filter material is very effective a=
t removing the loud plop of a raindrop.  It is however, not waterproof =96 =
so it needs a backing of something to stop the water filtering  through to =
the windshield or microphone.  I find novelty =91Umbrella Hats=92 very usef=
ul for this purpose. They are cheap, pack-up small and are very light.  The=
y fit perfectly on binaural dummy heads and can be easily modified to fit a=
 Rycote or Rode blimp.

> See for example http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOLDABLE-NOVELTY-UMBRELLA-SUN-H=
AT-GOLF-FISHING-CAMPING-FANCY-DRESS-MULTICOLOUR-/181748953909?pt=3DLH_Defau=
ltDomain_3&hash=3Ditem2a5114f335

> In the UK =91hogs hair=92 filters can be most easily obtained as filter m=
aterial for fish tank pumps.  Larger sections can be obtained from The Foam=
 Shop who call it Reticulated Foam - http://www.thefoamshop.co.uk/category/=
193/RETICULATED--FOAM
> I find the 10ppi reticulated foam which is about an inch thick to be very=
 effective at dampening the noise of raindrops.

> Richard

ps.com]
> Sent: 24 July 2015 23:20
> Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] Weatherproofing Mics?
>

> I've found that faux fur will keep one night of rain away from my WL183 e=
lectrets. The problem for me has been the thudding that drops on the fur ma=
ke.

> Exactly my experience. A good solution is a rainshield made of =93hogs ha=
ir=94 air conditioning filter material. That stops the plops.