8. EM172s and problems with a lead

Subject: 8. EM172s and problems with a lead
From: "vickipowys" vpowys
Date: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:00 pm ((PDT))
My SASS-Lite DIY head with two EM172s per channel has served me well
for many years and saw a lot of rugged use in various weathers.  Then
I had a static problem in one channel, Peter suggested Deoxit gold and
this seemed to solve the problem, all my gear was working well before
I headed off on a trip outback.  After one particularly bad section of
corrugated road, the right channel no longer worked, in either of two
recorders I had taken with me.  OK so the work around was to use
Telinga clip-on mics tied on the SASS head.

Now that I am home I have pulled everything apart and it looks like
the capsules are still fine but the lead had developed a fault, so I
will snip and rejoin the capsules to a new lead.  I really did think
the capsules must have had it, but they are apparently still fighting
fit :-)

Vicki Powys
Australia