6. Re: Weatherproofing Mics?

Subject: 6. Re: Weatherproofing Mics?
From: madl74
Date: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:48 pm ((PDT))
> I would like to build an autonomous, weatherproof recorder using a Pelica=
n case, an Olympus LS-7 (because of its timer function) and EM172 capsules.=
 I'm imagining somehow mounting the capsules on either side of the case, pe=
rhaps flush with the sides to get a little bit of a boundary effect. Does a=
nyone here have experience trying this and having success creating a weathe=
rproof and wind-protected mounting for the capsules? Are you willing to sha=
re your experience?

John,

The overall principle is to protect the mics from direct rain while
minimising the rain noise.

I've written about this before and I invented the first gunmic windsock
cover to go over the old fibreglass Senneheiser windgags - principally as a=

water repellent layer. The making of the windgags and socks was taken over=

by Rycote who produced the "Hairy Harry" and the rest is history.

For mics that have to work in all weathers, spraying the cover with water
repellent is not enough, as they saturate quickly. To keep the rain off, I=

used a tent with a large mesh opening which worked in all weathers for a
number of months continuously outside, with two MKH 416's which are robust=

mics.

The problems were (and are with any rig) the close landing of raindrops nea=
the mic which sound explosive, and wind rustling the tent. An old blanket
over the tent helped a lot. The mics were positioned low which is my
favourite position anyway. They picked up raindrops on the ground but a sof=
surface like grass minimises this.

David Brinicombe