[Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6393

To: "" <>
Subject: [Nature Recordists] Digest Number 6393
From: "" <>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2015 08:18:37 +0000
There are 4 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1a. Re: How well do you hear audio quality?
    From:  freitojos
1b. Re: How well do you hear audio quality?
    From:  freitojos
1c. Re: How well do you hear audio quality?
    From: Emanuele Costantini

2a. Wild Soundscapes and Music
    From: Bernie Krause

Messages
1a. Re: How well do you hear audio quality?
    Posted by:   freitojos
    Date: Thu Jun 4, 2015 5:01 am ((PDT))

 Hello,

 I have had a lot of dificulty: 2 in 6 but an nteresting result, the Harvest
sample by Neil Young wich I know very well because I have heard this song a lot
of times years ago in LP analog reproduction was one of the two, and I think I
know why: because my memory have this song inside and it was easyer to
distinguish, I think....

 José

Messages in this topic (7)
    Date: Thu Jun 4, 2015 5:03 am ((PDT))

My setup was laptop, weiss int 102 interface, mytec 96 DAC, diy 15w digital
amplifier from ebay and avantone cube speakers.

 José

Messages in this topic (7)
1c. Re: How well do you hear audio quality?
    Posted by: "Emanuele Costantini"  lamacchiacosta
    Date: Thu Jun 4, 2015 4:29 pm ((PDT))

Guys,

I think no one will score on this test because they forgot to mention a
couple of fundamental things.
1. These are no raw recordings, these are final products.
2. Music engineers.
Producers and engineers are working together for many days and nights to
reach the target to have the final result sounding the same in EVERY format.
If you use a decent mp3 converter I doubt you'll hear the difference of
a dynamic compressed and mixed product of many dynamc compressed tracks
merged together to create a unique sound that HAS TO sound the same
everywhere to keep telling us (the audience) the same message or feeling
whatever the support we use, no matter wat is the age or cultural
background.

On 04/06/2015 13:03,  [naturerecordists] wrote:

> My setup was laptop, weiss int 102 interface, mytec 96 DAC, diy 15w
> digital amplifier from ebay and avantone cube speakers.
>

> José

Messages in this topic (7)
2a. Wild Soundscapes and Music
    Posted by: "Bernie Krause"  bigchirp1
    Date: Thu Jun 4, 2015 8:02 am ((PDT))

Ah, but Charles, natural soundscapes are precisely the same as music given that
those from healthy habitats contain all of the basic elements: melody, rhythm,
timbre, meter, and most of all, structure. In fact, that�s where we got the
inspiration for all of our music. (See the book, The Great Animal Orchestra:
Finding the Origins of Music in the World�s Wild Places, Little Brown/Hachette
in the US, and 6 translations worldwide).

Over the course of this past year, utilizing natural soundscapes as the
foundation, my colleague, Richard Blackford (former Oxford University
composer-in-residence), and I were commissioned to write a symphony for the 70
piece BBC National Orchestra of Wales (The Great Animal Orchestra Symphony of
Orchestra and Wild Soundscapes), which premiered last summer at the Cheltenham
Music Festival (UK), and this year featuring biophonies almost exclusively, we
were commissioned to write the score (Biophony) for the Alonzo King LINES
Ballet ensemble, an international performance group based in San Francisco. In
both of those compositions, biophonies dictated the structure of the
compositions and were incorporated texture-wise into the works seamlessly.

Bernie Krause

> I know that nature recording isn't the same as music, but if I can hear the
> difference here I would think it's even more important with the dynamic range
> and quiet that one encounters in nature recording.
>
> - Charles

Wild Sanctuary
POB 536
Glen Ellen, CA 95442