Re: Question about 44.1 vs 96 kHz

Subject: Re: Question about 44.1 vs 96 kHz
From: "crystal" esslwizard
Date: Sat May 30, 2015 9:51 pm ((PDT))
Yes, i did some test a few years ago and everyone whom i asked could
tell a difference with bird sounds and insects. I was surprised. This
was playing it back on a good system.

I got a couple recordings of a creek today using my PCM-M10 and the
built-in mics (using a Rode Dead Kitten for a windscreen). I took one at
Message: 44.
Subject: 1 kHz, and another at 96 kHz just to see if I could detect any
difference (expecting the answer to likely be no). To my surprise, not
only could I definitely hear a difference, but I can also see a very
obvious difference in the spectrogram generated by Izotope RX 4. Here=92s
what I=92m seeing (and hearing):

Note that the recordings are directly from the M10 without any editing.

Firstly, I see in the 44.1 kHz recording that the cricket sounds are
creating a very visible band at around 5 kHz with a secondary band at
about 5.8 kHz. In the 96 kHz recording, the same crickets are now two
less distinct bands at 10 kHz and 15 kHz. Can someone explain to me
what=92s causing the apparent compression? My expectation was just that I
simply would lose the higher frequencies with the lower sampling rate,
but that doesn=92t appear to be the case.

Based on this result, my impulse is to start recording everything at 96
kHz, file size be damned.

--
http://www.gardenofsensualdelight.com
https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness/tracks