How can I power and amplify "Primo EM-172 capsules" to a line-in lev

Subject: How can I power and amplify "Primo EM-172 capsules" to a line-in lev
From: skoulatosm
Date: Tue May 19, 2015 8:28 am ((PDT))
Hello,

I am totally new to the field and want to make a start in recording in nature,
mainly for general ambient sounds and birds in forests etc.
So far I figured out my most inexpensive bet is buying/building my own electret
mics with Primo EM-172 capsules as I read in a couple of sites. Apparently they
are famous for being very good quality and the cheapest so it's worth a try. I
could get them from here: http://micbooster.com/ http://micbooster.com/ My
normal recording gear is a Line6 Sonic Port VX going into my laptop. However,
the Line6 Sonic Port VX has an input which is only good if you have a line-in
level signal (i.e. cannot be used straight by a microphone as I understand).
Further, it has no power supply for the mic, which needs 5 Volts (or at least
something between 3 and 10 Volts).

My question is which extra part do I need to go into the Line6 Sonic Port VX
with the Primo EM-172 capsules? Buying something inexpensive would be nice, but
I am also happy to do a bit of DIY electronics if this saves me some money
and/or has better quality.

cheers,
Markos

<*> Your email settings: