Re: recording in very cold weather with Primo EM172

Subject: Re: recording in very cold weather with Primo EM172
From: madl74
Date: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:53 am ((PDT))
> Last Saturday we were recording owls with a friend in -7 degrees Celsius
> and the noise floor of the recordings seems higher then usual.

Jonas,

There is a simple test for mic HF noise which is the pile of bedclothes
test. Do one when the mics are warm and then after cooling in the fridge.
Listen back to the hiss levels after using a bass cut and this will give you
a good idea of the hiss noise level.

> Here is a little recording from the dawn chorus:
> https://soundcloud.com/fields-by-gruska/dobra-voda-83-2015-655-am

It is a nice recording but the impression I get is that the ambient sounds
were very low. The digital noise with the recording isn't a problem. The
recording peaked at about minus 30Db which I brought up. The major peak
noise was wind/handling rumble noise so I used a bass roll-off.

Sounds like the distant dog barking, and the general background indicates as
if it was a quiet location which would make the mic noise more prominent

David Brinicombe

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: