Re: In Pursuit of Silence

Subject: Re: In Pursuit of Silence
From: madl74
Date: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:19 pm ((PST))
Eric,

I went through the links you gave. Interesting.

I'm making a comment on the name of this project. I have never heard
silence. The nearest I came to it was in India as a teenager six decades ag=
when I used to cycle over a large highland grassy plateau and in the dry
season there were no wildlife or environmental sounds. I lay down to listen=

and, as my ears stopped hissing, my breathing became louder and, after half=

an hour, my heart was thumping away noisily. Blood was pulsing through my
ears, and as the temporary tinnitus died down, I could hear a faint high
pitched hiss which I took to be the air thermal noise which experts say we=

can't hear. However it does rise 10dB between 1KHz and 10KHz, so I'm
sticking to my guns on that.

As an experience, I have never forgotten it, and have never been able to
repeat it, even in the anechoic chamber in NPL Teddington, but we were
filming in there so silence was impossible. If anyone gets a chance, it is =
strange experience when you can't hear what someone says if they are facing=

away from you. Some people even freak out.

I rarely get a chance to seek out silence nowadays, but the best bet here i=
Exmoor in Devon, UK, on a calm day with no planes. I can recommend anyone t=
leave their gear in the car sometimes and just enjoy minimal sound.

David Brinicmbe

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: