Re: Birdsong of Thailand's Deciduous Forest - Huai Kha Khaeng Wildli

Subject: Re: Birdsong of Thailand's Deciduous Forest - Huai Kha Khaeng Wildli
From: wildambience
Date: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:31 am ((PDT))
Hi Andrew, =0D
=0D
 sorry for the delay, I have been sidetracked these last few weeks and have=
n't visited the forum since last posting.=0D
=0D
 =0D
=0D
 In answer to your questions:=0D
 =0D
=0D
 How are your 8020s performing in those tropical conditions?=0D
=0D
 =0D
=0D
 The Sennheiser MKH8020's had no problems whatsoever - no popping at all. T=
hey did get a little damp at times where I was recording in rain but I made=
 sure I gave them a few hours to air before using them again. =0D
 =0D
=0D
 Having said that the Audio Technica AT4022's had zero problems as well in =
the exact same conditions. I have had some popping from them on frosty morn=
ing at other locations, but they have served me well in many humid, tropica=
l habitats over the last 3 years (as has the Fostex recorder).=0D
 =0D
=0D
 =0D
=0D
 What sort of gain levels did you set the Sd recorder at?=0D
=0D
 =0D
=0D
 In terms of gain on the SD702, I usually set it about 52dB for general for=
est ambience like the Thailand recording, and leave the kit unattended for =
a few hours. =0D
 =0D
=0D
 =0D
=0D
 You say on your website you use a Fostex and At mics, could have achived t=
he same result with them?=0D
=0D
 =0D
=0D
 Yes, I think the difference in audio quality between my two kits is neglig=
ible and the results have more to do with where the kit is positioned and w=
hat the subject matter is. =0D
 =0D
=0D
 =0D
=0D
 I see you are a fan of parallel arrays which produce theses great results,=
 have you ever tried M/S arrays?=0D
=0D
 =0D
=0D
 Not yet, but I would like to experiment with some different arrays and com=
pare them for myself.=0D
 =0D
=0D
 =0D
=0D
 Or when you target a single species like the tiger are you not tempted to =
get a good mono recording?=0D
=0D
 =0D
=0D
 There are times when I would like to have a parabola handy to target certa=
in calls, but my main focus is recording species in habitat / whole soundsc=
apes. =0D
 =0D
=0D
 Any other questions feel free to contact me =0D
 =0D
=0D
 Marc=0D
 =0D