5. Re: Anthropophony redux

Subject: 5. Re: Anthropophony redux
From: madl74
Date: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:54 pm ((PDT))
> it is also important to consider that "sound" is usually considered what
> humans can hear, thus limiting the frequencies of sound to say 50 to
> 16000Hz and naming infra- and ultra- sounds the frequencies beyond those
> limits. However, as biologists, we also can consider "sound" all acoustic
> events that can be received and perceived by a living being.

Gianni,

There is concern that infrasound from ships may be disturbing the long
distance communications of whales across hundreds of miles of ocean. These=

low frequency sounds cannot be heard by the human ear, but are they not
still anthropophony?

BTW, I can hear down to around 5Hz. Does that make me a whale? :-)

David Brinicombe