Re: Good mics, medium mics, the best mics - what's the difference o

Subject: Re: Good mics, medium mics, the best mics - what's the difference o
From: "303" quies_still
Date: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:24 am ((PDT))
I would also add dynamic range to the conversation here.
Self-noise can vary wildly between mics under 500 and over 1000 of course, =
but I often find I can hear the difference in dynamic range more. The same =
applies to lenses, to follow the photography analogy.
That is why, to my ears, at least, a 750=80 Neumann km sounds better than a=
 200=80 Rode nt1a, even though the noise specs of the Rode are better.
Another thing I=92d like to add is that it=92s about your end product as we=
ll. If you=92re gonna be playing your recordings on a home system or throug=
h headphones, the differences are small. I=92ve made great recordings with =
the built-in mics of my Sony D-50 that way. However, when I play these reco=
rdings on a theater PA system, or in a high end professional film studio, t=
hey don=92t sound as great anymore.

So yes, I=92d say there definitely is a (big) difference between low price =
and high price microphones, but there=92s many occasions and circumstances =
where that shouldn=92t be an issue. And more importantly, it should never s=
top you from recording.

Peter

On 17 Jun 2014, at 7:52,  [naturerecordists] <na=
> wrote:

> Hi David,
> You say, "Whose definition of "self noise" would you use? To have any mea=
ning, this
> has to be an "equivalent self noise" in other words the acoustic noise le=
vel
> in Phons which would give the same noise level as the mic itself, in othe=
> words a sound which would raise the total mic noise level by 3dB."
>
> I don't quite understand. Since when are noise specs given in Phons?  Are=
n't they usually described in units of dBA?  Let's just go with what is mos=
t common - it is all relative isn't it.

> John Hartog

peter lenaerts
+61 (0)413 727 384