Re: text spectrograms?

Subject: Re: text spectrograms?
From: "Keith Smith" smith9e499
Date: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:23 pm ((PDT))
Hello Philipp,

In Dave Moulton's 'Golden Ears' course, there is a set of exercises where
the student is is required to listen to examples of pink noise played
through a 31 band equalizer. The examples are boosted or cut at various
frequencies and the students job is to learn to recognize which is which.
Key to this is learning the physiological/psychological sensations that
different frequencies produce in your own body.. You might notice that you
particularly sense 12-14kHz near the top of your head, 8kHz just above your
eyebrows, 4kHz near the top of your nose, etc.. I believe this is real and
has much to do with resonances in one's skull and nasal cavities.

I think you might use this idea to devise a frequency recognition
self-training program for yourself without the need of buying the course.

I would contend that digital mixing has tended to produce far too much
'mixing with the eyes' and that has led in part to much of the disgusting
music we get these days. Once one loads a compressor with a bunch of visual
gizmos on it, it's only natural to twiddle knobs until it looks like it's
working -no matter how bad it sounds.

Moulton's course takes one back to the ABC's of listening -the sort of
apprenticeship that is very difficult to get, these days and reaffirms
mixing as an aural and not a visual skill.
I suspect the exercises I suggest are trivial in comparison to the
listening skills you must have mastered already.

With profound respect,
Keith

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 6:53 AM, Philipp Schroeter
[naturerecordists] <> wrote:

> Thanks to all of you. Great news and great ideas. I will have to research
> now which approach might be the right one for me. I am very grateful for
> all your tips.
> regards
> Philipp
> Am 12.06.2014 13:58, schrieb 'Chris Harrison'
> [naturerecordists]:
>

> Phillipp,
>

> Fortunately, Audacity is open source software and there are a lot of
> people who are motivated to try and make it perform new tasks.
>

> In fact, there is specifically an audacity for the blind mailing list.
> I=E2=80=99m sure you can get some great solutions and suggestions through=
 that
> group.
>

> The URL is http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Audacity_for_blind_users
>

> Good luck.  I hope you can find some solutions there and I hope you will
> report them back to us.
>

> Chris

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional