Re: Help comparing two different blumlein mic configurations.

Subject: Re: Help comparing two different blumlein mic configurations.
From: madl74
Date: Sun Jun 8, 2014 6:25 am ((PDT))
Jose,

I listened to the two tracks without taking notice of the mic placement. As=

you described them as Blumlein, I only listened on headphones. The birds
were different so I looked for stereo placement of individual birds.

14040600Z

The distant cuckoos and woodpecker were more prominent than in the other
recording, but not well placed. The closer birds (not as close as in the
other recording) showed what I call "splash". Instead of a clear direction=

of call in the stereo image, the call sounds in both ears. This can happen=

if the sounds become out of phase, for instance from a back lobe of a
directional mic, or probably if the Blumlein time-difference stereo is
giving a different image to the cardioid level-difference stereo.

Something happened to the LF at 00:57 for 3 seconds.

140608T0500Z

There were very prominent close calls on this recording but all calls were=

well placed in the stereo image. It had a good sense of depth, to distant
birds in the background (and a distant motorbike which was also well
placed).

Because the two recordings had a different collection of birds, it is
difficult to give a final answer, but the image placement of the second one=

was much cleaner. Listen for the "splash" effect when the bird call sounds=

split between the two sides.

David Brinicombe