Re: My first offering for review and criticism......

Subject: Re: My first offering for review and criticism......
From: "John Burchard" tepegawra
Date: Sat May 31, 2014 11:17 am ((PDT))
 [naturerecordists] wrote:

> It's worse than a banner ad. It tricked me too. In the middle of the
> page there are two options shown, "play" a big button in blue, and
> "download" a big button in green.  I clicked "download" which led to
> some prompt about "a new Codec Pack version". Clicked "OK" which led
> to my virus software letting me know it had blocked the download.
> Sometimes with free stuff you do get more than you pay for - like
> tricked into downloading malware.

This is, regrettably, a very common problem.  Fortunately, as in this case,
good
antivirus software will often block such things.

There are also software items that help one avoid dubious Web sites.  One such
is SpywareBlaster (http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html);
another
is the MVPS "hosts" file (http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm).  I can
recommend both (updated frequently).  I also use WinPatrol
(http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html), which warns you if any program tries
to make changes to any of your system files, and blocks the changes unless you
approve them.  There are others, but these are part of what I would call the
"basic armory" of Windows users.

Probably I'm preaching to the choir here, but wanted to mention these.  Of
course a good antivirus program (never more than one, otherwise they interfere
with one another), a firewall, and regular scans witn anti-malware programs are
also part of the picture.

John
---
John E. Burchard, Ph.D.