2. Re: Dialogic Form

Subject: 2. Re: Dialogic Form
From: "Peter Shute" pshute2
Date: Mon May 19, 2014 1:35 pm ((PDT))
On 17 May 2014, at 11:32 am,
"<>
[naturerecordists]"
<<>>
wrote:

I'm working on something I call Dialogic Form. It shows how there is a tonal
and rhythmic interdependency within human (and possibly animal) communication.
Because I am a musician, I have noticed that there is a subtle and subconscious
mimicry that takes place within dialogues, similar to how babies learn how to
speak. It goes something like this: If person X says 'Kaku has a sexy brain!',
person Y will utter at least one of the previously heard phonics back into the
dialogue; either a, 'ka' 'kou' 'ou' 'hhh' 'as' 'zzz' 'a' 'sss' 'xi' 'eee' 'ba'
'bra' 'rain' 'ain' 'ai', or 'nnn' - AND - not only mimic the tone or sound but
also mimic the rhythm or beat of at least one of those sounds. In a healthy
conversation, person X will utter a sound and then person Y will, without fail
(so it seems) also rally back that sound when it's their turn to speak in the
conversation.

I'm sorry, but I got lost right back at the start of this conversation. If
someone said to me "Kaku has a sexy brain!", I'd say "Has he?" or "Who?". If
those responses start with a phonic from the first statement then I'd call that
a coincidence. Or have I misunderstood? Can you give an example of the kind of
response you're talking about?

Peter Shute