Re: Digest Number 5996

Subject: Re: Digest Number 5996
From: "Dean Rosenthal" =
.com
Date: Tue Jan 7, 2014 9:21 am ((PST))

Marc,

What a remarkable project and exceptional execution. This sound map could b=
e used easily in pedagogical contexts and my hope is that many educators wi=
ll do this - what a great work.
Thank you. Now to consider a nice submission!  Congratulations on such an i=
ncredible work.

Best,
Dean Rosenthal

www.deanrosenthal.org

> On Jan 7, 2014, at 4:57 AM,  wrote:
>
>             E-Mail group of individuals interested i Group           =

> 8 New Messages              Digest #5996
> 1a Re: Parabolic Dish As Center Channel? by "Flawn Williams" flawn1951
> 1b Re: Parabolic Dish As Center Channel? by madl74
> 1c Re: Parabolic Dish As Center Channel? by freitojos
> 1d Re: Parabolic Dish As Center Channel? by freitojos
> 2a Re: bird call playback uses by "Scott Varney" scottvarney1968
> 3a Re: FW: Re: use of birdsong playback by "Scott Varney" scottvarney1968
> 4a Nature Soundmap by wildambience
> 4b Re: Nature Soundmap by "Eric Fassbender" eric.fassbender
> Messages
> 1a Re: Parabolic Dish As Center Channel?
> Mon Jan 6, 2014 4:57 am (PST) . Posted by:      "Flawn Williams" flawn195=
1                         Fred,

> My reading of the manual for the Sound Devices Mixpre-D is that its only =
MS mode is to decode Mid and Side inputs into Left and Right signals that a=
ppear at the main outputs of the mixer. There=E2=80=99s no option for just =
doing MS decoding in the headphones while passing undecoded MS to the main =
outputs.

> Some of that company=E2=80=99s other products, such as their 702 and 722 =
recorders, do offer the choice of decoding just in the headphone output or =
in both mains and headphones.

> There are a number of options in DAW software these days that can let you=
 narrow or widen the stereo field of a recorded file. Narrowing is simplest=
, you just have to set the pan controls for each channel to less than full =
spread. Thus when I record decoded MS in the field I usually set the image =
to be a bit wider than I expect to want, and use the pans to tailor it late=
r.

> But widening can be done in software as well. The same process that I des=
cribed in my earlier note, that converts M and S to L and R, will also conv=
ert L and R to M and S! And there are plug-ins that use that kind of under-=
the-hood math to let you widen the stereo image of a recording. They work f=
or decoded MS recordings as well as original LR recordings.

> =E2=80=94Flawn
>
> On Jan 6, 2014, at 5:04 AM,  wrote:
>
> > 3d. Re: Parabolic Dish As Center Channel?
> > Posted by:  listeningfor1
> > Date: Sun Jan 5, 2014 9:08 pm ((PST))
> >
> > Can anyone confirm if I have the correct understanding about the Sound =
Devices Mixpre-D.

> > If I connect a Mid/Side mike arrangement to the SD Mixpre-D and engage =
the M/S Link function, does the mixer output stereo signal? In other words,=
 does the mixer encode the Mid and Side mike signals into stereo? Or am I h=
earing only through headphones the encoded version, but the mixer is still =
outputting discrete, Mid and Side signals which I'll need to encode later. =
The manual doesn't seem that clear to me.

> > If the mixer is doing the encoding, seems like once you engage the M/S =
Link function you are committed to the the level and spread adjustments tha=
t you make in the field, which could be kind of risky.

> > Again, thanks in advance.
> >
> > Fred
>
> Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (12)=
 . Top ^
> 1b Re: Parabolic Dish As Center Channel?
> Mon Jan 6, 2014 5:35 am (PST) . Posted by:      madl74 > If the mixer is =
doing the encoding, seems like once you engage the M/S Link function you ar=
e committed to the the level and spread adjustments that you make in the fi=
eld, which could be kind of risky.
> Fred,
>
> The L-R to M-S process is the same as M-S to L-R, so if you have a conver=
ter
> box or sound editor which does this you have then best of both worlds.
>
> L-R stereo is adjusted by pan pots which can narrow each signal to centre=
,
> but not expand the stereo image, but increasing the S signal in M-S will=

> widen the image but will also produce out of phase "stereo" effects which=

> may or may not be wanted.
>
> M-S is often used with video cameras as you can easily retain the clean
> directional S signal for mono use, discarding the S signal which often ha=
s a
> 360 degree pickup.
>
> David Brinicombe
>
> Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (12)=
 . Top ^
> 1c Re: Parabolic Dish As Center Channel?
> Mon Jan 6, 2014 3:28 pm (PST) . Posted by:      freitojos Fred,
> Yes with a radial mic splitter for dual mono.
> Regards,
> Jos=C3=83=C2=A9
> Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (12)=
 . Top ^
> 1d Re: Parabolic Dish As Center Channel?
> Mon Jan 6, 2014 3:38 pm (PST) . Posted by:      freitojos Fred,
> Yes in my home made fiber glass parabolic dish 60cm diameter.
> Regards,
> Jos=C3=83=C2=A9
> Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (12)=
 . Top ^
> 2a Re: bird call playback uses
> Mon Jan 6, 2014 5:21 pm (PST) . Posted by:      "Scott Varney" scottvarne=
y1968                         That is great news to hear! We hear so many o=
f the negatives in regards to this topic...the glass is sometimes half full=
! Thanks for that.

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Jan 5, 2014, at 10:12 PM, "Chris Harrison" <> wro=
te:

> > As Scott points out, recorded bird calls are used to try and discourage=
 pest bird species.

> > In New Zealand, prerecorded sounds of seabird nests are being used to t=
ry and get seabirds to come back to nesting areas from which they had been =
previously extirpated by predators. (The predators have been removed). I kn=
ow they have been successful with a couple of species so far. So in this ca=
se, the playing of the recordings is being used to change their behavior in=
 a positive way for conservation.

> > Chris Harrison
> >

> Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (2) =
. Top ^
> 3a Re: FW: Re: use of birdsong playback
> Mon Jan 6, 2014 5:28 pm (PST) . Posted by:      "Scott Varney" scottvarne=
y1968                         As I point out to my students, every human ha=
s an environmental impact. Our goal as individuals should aim at minimizing=
 our impact...it will never be zero! On that note, I believe as environment=
al stewards, we should think long and hard about using bird calls to lure i=
n birds for whatever purpose...always weigh the pros and cons, but think ag=
ain about the cons before we act.

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Jan 5, 2014, at 10:05 PM, "Chris Harrison" <> wro=
te:

> > In answer to Eric=C3=A2=E2=82=AC=E2=84=A2s statement, audio playback is=
 banned in most parks and refuges as it should be.

> > I am not only interested in recording natural sounds, I am also a birdw=
atcher and have been birding for 30+ years. This issue comes up frequently =
in birding circles, as you can imagine. I think we as consumers of these wi=
ldlife resources, even if only through watching, recording, or photographin=
g, should be the most staunch defenders of protecting the resources we clai=
m to love. No one ever really needs a particular photo, recording, or bird =
on their lifelist. Never. You may have been hired to get a recording or a p=
hoto by agency, but you don=C3=A2=E2=82=AC=E2=84=A2t really NEED to have it=
. This means there should NEVER be a reason to play a bird=C3=A2=E2=82=AC=
=E2=84=A2s call back to it. I hear birders talking about =C3=A2=E2=82=AC=C5=
=93confirming the species identity=C3=A2=E2=82=AC=C2=9D etc. as justificati=
on, but you didn=C3=A2=E2=82=AC=E2=84=A2t need to know what it was enough t=
o justify disturbing it. (I=C3=A2=E2=82=AC=E2=84=A2m aware that simply bein=
g in the animals habitat is disruptive, but we should aim to minimize our d=
isruptive footprint as best we can.

> > Birders will happily play owl calls to bring in birds so they can see t=
hem or impersonate or play a bird=C3=A2=E2=82=AC=E2=84=A2s call to get it c=
lose. Doing so is disruptive to the wildlife. If it wasn=C3=A2=E2=82=AC=E2=
=84=A2t, it wouldn=C3=A2=E2=82=AC=E2=84=A2t work!

> > I am guilty in that I have =C3=A2=E2=82=AC=C5=93psssshed=C3=A2=E2=82=AC=
=C2=9D to bring a bird out into view (mimicking the alarm call of other bir=
ds) and whistled a call back to a bird to get it to come into view. But it =
is wrong to do so and I don=C3=A2=E2=82=AC=E2=84=A2t do it as a rule.

> > BTW =C3=A2=E2=82=AC=E2=80=9C the same playback thing works with frogs a=
nd I have seen a lot of frog recordings that have =C3=A2=E2=82=AC=C5=93resp=
onded to playback of call=C3=A2=E2=82=AC=C2=9D in their descriptions.

> > Think about this - which has greatest potential to harm the species you=
 are interested in: playing back a call to it or throwing a beer can out of=
 your car at the site? I say the former is more disruptive even though the =
idea of littering raises more people=C3=A2=E2=82=AC=E2=84=A2s hackles and i=
s perceived as =C3=A2=E2=82=AC=C5=93worse=C3=A2=E2=82=AC=C2=9D.

> > Lastly, it doesn=C3=A2=E2=82=AC=E2=84=A2t make it OK to do it just beca=
use you think you are the only one that would do it in that area. If it wou=
ld be wrong for 100 people to do it, it is wrong for you to do it. By that =
logic, throwing one beer can out the window is ok because very few people c=
ome here so I=C3=A2=E2=82=AC=E2=84=A2m probably the only person who would l=
itter.

> > clump, clump, clump (stepping off soapbox)
> >

> > Chris
> >

> Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (2) =
. Top ^
> 4a Nature Soundmap
> Mon Jan 6, 2014 9:45 pm (PST) . Posted by:      wildambience Hi All,
>

> A new project I have been working on for the past few months has been rel=
eased publicly today.

> Nature Soundmap (www.naturesoundmap.com http://www.naturesoundmap.com) is=
 a resource where users can easily explore the wonderful natural sounds of =
our planet. More details about the project can be found on the About page -=
 http://www.naturesoundmap.com/about-the-project/ http://www.naturesoundmap=
.com/about-the-project/ .

> For those interested in making submissions please visit - http://www.natu=
resoundmap.com/submissions/

> Thanks
>
> --
> Marc Anderson
>
> Wild Ambience
> Sydney, Australia
> P +61 (0) 430 072 299
> www.wildambience.com http://www.wildambience.com
> facebook.com/wildambience https://www.facebook.com/wildambience/
> Reply to sender . Reply to group . Reply via Web Post . All Messages (2) =
. Top ^
> 4b Re: Nature Soundmap
> Tue Jan 7, 2014 12:40 am (PST) . Posted by:      "Eric Fassbender" eric.f=
assbender                         Wow Marc, I am very impressed. That is ve=
ry good work. Congratulations and thanks for sharing. I might be able to co=
ntribute some sounds from south Kalimantan and Bali soon :) Also happy to a=
dd my tracks from the album Birds of Australia's National Parks (https://so=
undcloud.com/australiannaturesounds/sets/birds-of-australias-national)