Re: Distortions when recording tibetan singing bowls/gongs

Subject: Re: Distortions when recording tibetan singing bowls/gongs
From: "Gregory O'Drobinak" gmo_dunes=
2
Date: Thu Jan 2, 2014 8:28 pm ((PST))

Eric;

It is most likely that you overloaded either the mic's internal preamp or t=
he input of the outboard mic preamp or both.
Depending on the circuit topology and supply rails of the outboard mic prea=
mp, one can overload the input stage.
But it is more likely that the mic capsule or its internal preamp got overl=
oaded.

That is why it looks like you have not exceeded the 0 dB record level, but =
you still have distortion.
Moving the mic away from the sound source keeps it from being overloaded.=
=C2=A0

I have had personal experience with this type of recording, e.g., bells, go=
ngs and carillons and gamelan. Often one needs to engage the mic's internal=
 pad (10 or 20 dB), then use the lowest gain setting for the outboard mic p=
reamp. Judicious placement of the mic is also of paramount importance. Alwa=
ys use your ears, with a good pair of closed-back headphones, to setup the =
recording before hitting record.

- Greg=C2=A0