Re: recording a falcon hunt

Subject: Re: recording a falcon hunt
From: "Eric Schmidt" eric_v_s43420
Date: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:22 pm ((PST))
Stephen;

What's been said about sync sound is spot on.  I've edited sync &
non-sync sound to the picture and your editor will love you if you have
sync sound.  And will eventually try to kill you if not.

I'd say you should place yourself close to the camera operator under
normal circumstances.  I would be easy for the operator to swing around
to you when he starts a scene and you can snap your fingers in front of
the lens.  If that's not possible go for a tail slate - same thing but
done right before the camera is turned off.

Another possibility is to have the camera lay down an audio track with
the picture - this will be in sync.  The editor can use a waveform
monitor to match the audio.

Anoth4er help is to have the cameraman give you some sort of
timeceeping code to you when he starts or stops the camera and you talk
it into one of your mics.  This can be used as an extra check if
something gets misplaced.

Try to get as close to the action as possible while staying out of the
way - of both the camera and the action.  If you know what type of shot
the C.O. is shooting match the sound.  For instance, if the shot is a
wide angle you back off to obtain more of the ambience than what you're
usually obtaining.  If a close-up, get close.

Ideally you and the operator will work as a team and communicate with
each other.  Especially if you have some control over the bird, the
prey, and the falconer.

If it's possible and the prey is being staged (or you can argue for it)
and you know where it's going to be located, you can set-up something
real close if the terrain will allow it and you or your equipment can
be hidden close by.

When I've worked on stuff like this I've (at the minimum) used a mic
that has at least a 60 or 90 degree of acceptance along with a shotgun
(Senn. 815 or Neuman 82i).  If you can add another mic to get a stereo
image of the location that is "rather stationary" and have the shotgun
set-up so you can move it around quickly to get the the sounds you want
to.

Eric

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional