Re: memory card max size for Sony PCM-M10

Subject: Re: memory card max size for Sony PCM-M10
From: "Peter Shute" pshute2
Date: Sun Dec 1, 2013 2:16 pm ((PST))
 wrote

> hello all, I did some checking on this issue myself.
>
> The M10 will normally max out at 32g but when I tried a 64g
> sandisk in it I found that it will work in a restricted way.
>
> It refuses to format the card internally. Therefore, I'd say
> it's risky to go any further with using a 64gig card.
>
> BUT !....   I formatted the card with an old Windows 98
> computer with a 64gig FAT32 partition. Then I put it in the
> M10. I booted up the recorder and it accepted the card. I
> made a recording and it saved it perfectly and I was able to
> transfer the file to a Windows XP computer perfectly too.
>
> Later I set up the recorder to record FM radio 24 hours a day
> for 4 days until the 64 gig card was brim full. Not a
> problem. All files transferred correctly to the computer, and
> after deleting the files from the card, it was accepted again
> in the recorder and it continued to store fresh data.

I didn't expect it would work at all. SD and Micro SD cards between 2 and 3=
2GB use the SDHC standard. Above 32GB they use the SDXC standard.

I hunted around and found this explanation:
"- SDHC cards can go from 2GB up to 32GB of storage
- SDXC cards can go from 32GB up to 2TB of storage
- SDHC uses FAT32 standard (compatible with most current devices)
- SDXC uses exFAT standard (not compatible with older devices; need to refo=
rmat to FAT32)
- will require partitioning software to reformat to FAT32 for greater compa=
tibility
- SDXC utilizes a new speed class (UHS=3DUltra High Speed)
- older devices that can use SDXC will not see or benefit from the newer sp=
eeds and may actually see a performance hit"

That explains why reformatting in another device helped. But is it reliable=
, providing one is prepared to do that?

If it is reliable, how high can we go? I think they're available up to at l=
east 512GB so far. That would allow recording for three weeks.

> Here's the problem. On one occasion something glitched and
> the recorder refused to accept the card ( and, of course,
> also refused to format it ). After formatting again by the
> old computer method it worked again for a while.

"Worked again for a while" sounds like it's not reliable, but it's a good s=
ign that it works at all. It means it's at least electrically compatible, a=
nd probably only requires a firmware update to make it reliable.

I wonder why it stopped working after a while? Perhaps some operation on th=
e machine does it, like deleting files? Perhaps if one reformatted again af=
ter downloading each time, it would be ok.

Peter Shute

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: