Re: Article: "New Technology Tracks Species by Their Sounds"

Subject: Re: Article: "New Technology Tracks Species by Their Sounds"
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:41 pm ((PDT))
The US Navy actually tried match-to-sample tech on their Trident subs=85veh=
icles that sometimes had over 3200 hydrophones embedded in the hull=85in th=
e 1970s and 1980s. During that period they tried to ID whale vox and severa=
l hundred signatures of fish to compare to the signatures of Soviet subs. D=
idn't work 'cause there were too many variations within each species and, a=
ltho, they still use something similar, it is still problematic in many ins=
tances. They could never overcome the problem introduced by Doppler shift=
=85objects moving at different speeds toward or away from each other.

Bernie

On Jul 16, 2013, at 6:29 PM, Peter Shute <> wrote:

> I assume there are many people working on automatic species recognition, =
but I don't know how reliable it is yet. I thought they still required veri=
fication by humans.

> But just the fact that recordings are being made and kept is a good thing=
. Maybe someone with as much resources as Google could do the initial analy=
sis, and make the tagged sections of the recordings available for us to lis=
ten to. But imagine the outrage - first they photograph all of our houses, =
then they make continuous recordings.

> It's an interesting field, and it would be good if anyone here with knowl=
edge of it could fill us in on it.

> Peter Shute

Wild Sanctuary
POB 536