Re: The fastest cyclist in Iceland

Subject: Re: The fastest cyclist in Iceland
From: madl74
Date: Fri Jul 5, 2013 5:36 am ((PDT))
Arnthor,

OK, it's a bit late for your cycle riders, but I'm never short of an
opinion. :-) I'll assume you are recording wildlife.

> 1. MS-stereo with a Rode NT-2A and NT55,

The NT-2A is a studio mic and may not be the best design for outdoor
use. It has a large diaphragm which means the high frequency off-axis
response to the front of the rig but edge-on to the diaphragm may be
variable. For M-S stereo to work, the mic diaphragms need to be
equidistant from the object so this would mean mounting the mics side
by side and looking end-on. To get a directional response, you would
need the NT-5 cardiod capsule. I don't know how you would mount a
windshield around this rig.

> 2. two Sennheiser ME62 mics in an AB-setup,

If you mount the two mics at 90 deg with the capsules together, you
would get a good stereo image. Crossing the mics with the capsules
separated gives phase differences which are fine for headphone
binaural listening but I don't like the lack of clarity on
loudspeakers. Again how do you windshield this rig?

> 3. A Shure VP88 stereo mic

You have stereo in one go with this one and it should fit in a
standard windshield. There may be mics with a better spec, but the
incoming sound is often poorer quality than even any affordable mic will
offer. The exception is with very quiet backgrounds when mic hiss may be
audible.

> 4. two Rode NT-2A in an AB-setup with apr. 55 cm space.

Don't expect any phase relatioships to survive with a 55 cm spacing.
This is a Blumlein rig which will give a stereo "effect" but not clear
placed sounds on the image.

Check out my predictions for yourself with some "walk around" tests
outdoors. I shake a canister of peanuts while walking around the rig
360 degrees about 5 or 10 away from it. This will show you the stereo
image you get from a 360 degree stereo object. Listen to the
recordings on headphones and also loudspeakers and choose what you like
best.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce