Re: Solstice Chorus

Subject: Re: Solstice Chorus
From: "Sudipto Roy" sudiptoroy17
Date: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:59 am ((PDT))
This is certainly very noticeable. Could you find any apparent reason like =
logging nearby or new construction in the locality etc?
Sudipto

 Subject: [Nature Recordists] Solstice Chorus
Date: Friday, June 21, 2013, 10:28 PM

 =C2=A0

       I have been noticing all spring that the number of
 singing birds in our vicinity has been dramatically down
 this year compared to previous years. I don't know if
 this is true for the area in general or just around our
 house, but the absence of many of our regular singers
 (especially veerys and wood thrushes) has been conspicuous.
 I've been waiting for the solstice to document it,
 because I started last year to record the dawn chorus on the
 morning of the solstice.

 I posted a 1-minute clip on soundcloud with the result.

 http://snd.sc/125LGYo

 The first 30 seconds is from last year, and the second 30
 seconds from this morning. I recorded for three hours both
 years. These clips both come from approximately 6:00 am EDT.
 The chorus usually begins around 4:15 and ends by 7:00. I
 chose these clips in part because they are not masked by one
 bird vocalizing very close to the microphones. Last year a
 catbird and this year a robin drowned out large segments of
 the recording.

 Both clips were recorded using a home-built boundary array
 based on EM172 capsules. The 2012 clip was recorded on a
 Sony MZRH1 minidisc recorder and the 2013 clip on an Olympus
 LS-11. I usually run the LS-11 on low sensitivity, and the
 MZRH1 on high sensitivity, so I have raised the level of the
 second recording to make them roughly comparable, probably
 within a dB or two. The location and orientation of the
 microphones is the same both years. The hiss is not
 microphone noise but two streams that run through the
 property.

 I am really puzzled by this decrease in singing bird
 activity this year and wonder if others are experiencing the
 same thing.

 John

 John Crockett

 Westminster, Vermont