Re: Pileated woodpecker foraging

Subject: Re: Pileated woodpecker foraging
From: "Michael Dalton" mdaltonarielle
Date: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:14 am ((PDT))
Not a comment on the recording or the circumstances, I didn't see the video=
 link.
Anyway, Ray, I sometimes see and hear the woodpeckers while walking with my=
 macaw. Compared to the recording, my woodpeckers sound like they are pound=
ing on a tree limb with a 2x4; really, the first time I heard it, I was uns=
ure whether it was rifle fire. All I can say is that our southern woodpecke=
rs must be healthy because the sound is incredibly loud. I've watched the b=
irds with great fascination drill into a tree in search of food. The only p=
roblem here is that I see them intermittently; I sometimes go to the house =
to get a camera and quickly drive back for a couple of photos. I have a cou=
ple of fair shots, but some day I'm going to get lucky and get within ten f=
eet for a "glamor photo."
In the same neighborhood we have had yellow-crowed night herons nesting and=
 I spent all spring a couple of years back shooting pix of the nestlings an=
d juveniles on the ground as they fledged. The birds can make a racket! Wha=
t amazed me is that the herons are able to live in a city environment. If y=
ou are interested in recording big birds, you might want to visit Florida .=
Regards,
Mike
Florida=A0=A0=A0