Re: New member's first time out with a DR-680

Subject: Re: New member's first time out with a DR-680
From: madl74
Date: Mon Jun 3, 2013 1:31 am ((PDT))
> Would that be welcome here, or is the group more strictly nature-focused?

Angus,

The clue is in the name of the Group. :-)

> The tracks are in the null of the mic,

A stereo pair doesn't have a null. To know what you are picking up, I have =
test I do with any stereo mic rig. I walk around it at a fixed distance
shaking a canister of peanuts. Listening back, you can then hear the stereo=

image front and back of the mic.

The frequency spectrum falls off sharply above 2kHz and most of the wildlif=
is in the noise region. There are slso close movement sounds and possibly
breathing noises.

Another Check I do is to put the mic rig under a pile of bedclothes and see=

what the high frequency noise sounds like. Filtering put the lower
frequencies should give you an approximate level for the mic hiss, and this=

will be the starting point for all wildlife recordings. The aim is to get
the wildlife well clear of the mic hiss. I wouldn't expect additional
audible noise from the digital recording, even when recording at low level.=

Have fun.

David Brinicombe