Re: last minute advice on recording Church bells

Subject: Re: last minute advice on recording Church bells
From: "grummyaa" grummyaa
Date: Sat May 25, 2013 6:29 am ((PDT))
If you can get close to the bell I'd say ditch the parabol and run a line t=
o get the mic physically closer to the bell. Especially if the bell has any=
 low mid and or bass information you'd want. A parabolic dish only amplifie=
s higher frequencies (unless it's gigantic) from my understanding.

If it were me I'd run a line to get at least one mic (if not a stereo pair)=
 up a little closer and a stereo pair further back for ambience or a more n=
atural sound. Then you can mix as needed. On the close mics I might attempt=
 a MS setup that way if you want later you can decide how wide a stereo clo=
se mic you want. Or perhaps you can just use the mid mic to mix in with you=
r ambience mics.

If for close mic'ing the only place you can place the mics is in the same r=
oom as the bell I'd place them as far away from the bell as I could while t=
rying to avoid as many reflective surfaces as possible.

If access to this bell is going to be a rare occasion you may want to consi=
der renting some extra equipment to allow yourself more options and or redu=
ndancy. Not sure where you live but where I live (in Canada) renting a mic,=
 some cable, and  or simple recorder for a day is pretty inexpensive. Food =
for thought if you think your access to this bell is going to be a rarity. =
Or if you'd like to try the mid side thing but don't have a fig8 mic, you c=
ould look into renting one for that purpose.

Best of luck.

--- In  CHAD CLIFFORD <> wrote:

> I have the opportunity to record a Church tower bell  (large bell) in the=
 morning.   I am new to such recording and am looking for any tips.  I assu=
me that I will need to have it chime once so I can get the mic levels right=
, and then try again.
> I can likely be right beside the bell if I choose, but am planning to be =
on the ground approximately 50m from the base of the bell tower.  I will ai=
m a parabola at the tower and the other mics will pic up what they get.  An=
y thoughts?