Re: mobile sd backup

Subject: Re: mobile sd backup
From: "Kin Corning" kincorning
Date: Tue May 21, 2013 9:19 am ((PDT))
I have an earlier model of the Sanho HyperDrive linked in the prior respons=
e, and have found it very reliable over several years of use.  I have used =
it mostly for photographs, but I have also used it to back up sound files f=
rom my Marantz PMD661 and it works fine for that purpose.  I assume the new=
er model would work as well, but it might be worth checking with the manufa=
cturer (http://www.hypershop.com).  They responded promptly on a recent que=
stion I sent them about spare batteries for my units. The reader for SD and=
 CF cards is built into the unit, and there are various HD sizes available =
up to 1tb, at present.  There is no headphone jack, and no onboard software=
 for playing sound files (at least on my older unit).  Whether you could fi=
gure out something using some external unit as a supplement I am not sure.

There are other manufacturers (some shown on the same link on the prior pos=
t), but some of these get quite poor reviews for reliability.  I'm not up t=
o date on all the current models, but as I said I have been happy with the =
HyperDrives and would readily buy them again if mine were at end of life or=
 I needed more capacity.

There used to be several other players in this market who have now disconti=
nued their product lines.  One was Epson, whose last models before the line=
 was discontinued were the P5000 and P7000, and these might be found on eBa=
y from time to time.  I mention these only because they have headphone jack=
s, intended for "music" files downloaded onto the device.  I also have a P7=
000 and I just did a quick download of WAV files from an Olympus LS-11 to t=
he device.  The download from the SD card works and the files are safely on=
 the device when you mount it as an external hard drive on the computer. Bu=
t, they cannot be referenced on the device itself which expects them to be =
photographs.  So it would be a bit disconcerting in the field without any w=
ay to make sure the files were properly downloaded.  And, while there is a =
function on the device to copy from one location to another, it doesn't all=
ow the "music" folder as a destination.  So again, whether there is some mo=
re complicated way to get them to play on the inbuilt headphone jack I am n=
ot sure.

Kin

--- In  "klangstrand" <=
.> wrote:

> Hi!
> I'm looking for a mobile sd-backup solution, for when I'm not bringing my=
 laptop.
> A small box with HD, sd-reader and perhaps usb.
> A simple playback function and possibilties to rename and organize files =
would also be convenient, but no requirement. 64gb and up, I recon.