Re: Recommendations of external battery for Tascam DR-680

Subject: Re: Recommendations of external battery for Tascam DR-680
From: "corticalsongs" corticalsongs
Date: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:37 am ((PDT))
I use the BIXNET BP160 battery (http://www.bixnet.com/unpowbat.html) with t=
he DR-680 and usually get about 22 hours of record time for 2 channel 44.1/=
16bit recordings. I dont think the power consumption will be dramatically d=
ifferent using higher sample and bitrates, but give it a try. The batteries=
 come with all the cables, connectors, and chargers you will need.

BIXNET has a selection of other batteries at different watt-hour ratings an=
d they can be chained together - for instance, I chain 2 BP160s to get ~2 d=
ays of recording time.

For a low cost alternative, you can try a sealed lead acid battery. In the =
US, Radio Shack has them in stock at just about every single location. You =
can get whatever size works for you ... I have used the 12V/12Ah with great=
 results. These are cheap, but they are toxic as shit and VERY HEAVY. You w=
ill need to make your own cable to connect this battery to the DR680, but i=
t is some pretty simple stuff. Get a couple of aligator clips and solder a =
wire to each clip. Then, solder the wire to a connector. I did this by gett=
ing an adapter at the thrift store that fit DR680 and clipped off the AC/DC=
 converter to solder on the aligator clips. It takes all of 30 minutes and =
will save you >$100 over the BIXNET.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3D11225092

Be aware that using an external battery in general with this unit requires =
that you have internal batteries installed - only to make sure that it shut=
s down properly. If the power runs out on the external battery while it is =
recording, you will loose the last file it is recording.

David

--- In  Trond Lossius <> =
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Tascam DR-680 that I am using with a SoundField ambisonics mic. =
Recording at 96 kHz using internal AA rechargeable batteries I'm able to do=
 approx one hour of recordings. I'd like to extend this in order to be able=
 to record for up to 5 hours, and recharge over night. Do anyone have recom=
mendations for what to look into (or what to shy away from)?