1. Re: So, I have lost everything...

Subject: 1. Re: So, I have lost everything...
From: "sounds.images" sounds.images
Date: Thu Apr 4, 2013 8:12 am ((PDT))
Hi Eric,

Thanks for that, yes good point to be remembered. Will make duplicates to D=
VD and another two external drives.

When I am back on a mac I will have more back up power.. Will be a while be=
fore that happens though.

Regards.

Simon.

--- In  Eric Fassbender <> wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> A single external harddrive will not protect you from data loss unless yo=
u use it to back up your laptop where all files are stored for work. So don=
't use the external hdd as your storage for media files and work from it. O=
nly use it to back up your laptop. I'm only saying this because I have seen=
 it done over and over again - People run out of space on their laptop and =
they start using what was supposed to be the backup drive as a regular work=
ing drive. Nothing happens for a while and they forget about the fact that =
hdd die and they don't make backups of the 'new' external working drive. 5 =
months later the external hdd carcs it, they loose all their files and wond=
er how this could happen to them again.

> My recommendation is an external RAID system as your working drive and as=
 was suggested elsewhere, every now and then drop a backup at a friends pla=
ce (you can use a 1TB or 2TB hdd for this) or do an online backup. The key =
is off-site backup for the, hopefully unlikely, event of theft or fire.

> Cheers,
>
> Eric
>

> On 02/04/2013, at 2:35 AM, sounds.images <> wrote:
>

> > Many thanks everyone for you words of support and replies, a new laptop=
 has been ordered and I do have a caddy already, so will put it in ther and=
 have a go at transferring it of it is possible to recover them..

@> wrote:

> > > Last night the other half shut down the laptop as normal before bed. =
This morning it was dead. It would power on and fans would spin but nothing=
. Took it to my parents and tried their hard drive in my machine.... Nothin=
g..

> > > Tried my hd on their machine and it tried to boot but went straight t=
o blue screen of death twice...

> > > So never put off your back ups. I have lost every recording I made si=
nce September. It was on the cards to do this little job this weekend, but =
it is too late.. Will try again when I get a replacement machine. This was =
completely unforeseen..