3. Re: Is my equipment outdated?

Subject: 3. Re: Is my equipment outdated?
From: "umashankar" umashanks
Date: Mon Mar 4, 2013 6:50 am ((PST))
if the capsules are near enough, the phase errors are no worse than they wo=
uld be with a large capsule. for me the advantage of paralleled capsules wa=
s that the fets are paralleled too. there is a three db improvement with a =
pair of capsules and six db with four, which improves s/n substantially.
my arrays are mounted on a plate about six inches or less across with the c=
apsules in an irregular cross. there is a central capsule, the second capsu=
le is half inch away, the third is at 90 degrees and one inch away, etc. th=
e plate essentially turns the capsules into boundary microphones, with a si=
x db gain over free field and a hemispherical pattern. the array improves b=
oth s/n and directionality with a small loss in fidelity. (I have recorded =
music with these plate arrays!)
=A0
umashankar

 I am wrong! If the mic caps carry the same signal (input sound waves entir=
ely coincident) one would get a consistent 3dB boost in signal but the self=
-noise (being stochastic) would not sum. Phase effects only enter at freque=
ncies high enough that they don't significantly compromise the sound. Havin=
g multiple caps per channel averages out the different responses in each in=
dividual cap, resulting in greater consistency between Left and Right.

>In any case Vicki Powys has successfully used 2 caps per channel on a SASS=
 array. Her recordings sound fine to me.