2. Re: TASCAM DR-100 MK2 & SONY MDR-7506 Phones

Subject: 2. Re: TASCAM DR-100 MK2 & SONY MDR-7506 Phones
From: "shooze53" shooze53
Date: Fri Feb 8, 2013 12:39 pm ((PST))

Scott,
Thanks for this input.

This is all a very helpful discussion.  After trying many yesterday, varyin=
g in price from $80.00 through $250.00 -  Beyer Dynamic, Audio-Technica, Sh=
ure, AKG, Sennheiser, etc -  I have narrowed down my decision to two phones=
: Sony MDR-7506, or the Sennheisser HD 25-1 II (there is a $115.00 priced d=
ifference between the two as well)

I have not A/B'd the two, but am taking advice from most on here.

I do not like the idea of wind noise that supposedly occurs while using Son=
y cans in the field, AND I would like to hear more about that from anyone t=
hat has experienced that low end rumble.  I do plan on doing some outdoor n=
ature and music recording, as well as indoor monitoring/mixing.

Thanks again folks!

Scott Hughes

--- In  Scott Fraser  wrote:

> < The graph for the Sony MDR-7506 seems to totally contradict reports of =
boomy bass: >

> It would seem to, however, we don't listen to graphs, & everybody's head =
& ear architecture is slightly different. For my ears, the reportedly tippe=
d up bass of the Sony MDR V6/7506 is not imagined. I've used these cans for=
 30 years, mixed thousands of concerts & recorded hundreds of albums utiliz=
ing them & the bass is definitely exaggerated, relative to the much more ne=
utral response of the studio monitors in use. This makes the Sony phones ve=
ry useful for editing, restoration & noise reduction chores, since a lot of=
 low frequency thumps, plosives, DC offsets, & wind rumbles are not audible=
 on many speakers.