Re: Wild Sanctuary website

Subject: Re: Wild Sanctuary website
From: "rock_scallop" rock_scallop
Date: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:55 am ((PST))
Great job on the new design, Bernie.

John Hartog
rockscallop.org

ed to the field of soundscape ecology: http://www.wildsanctuary.com

> The site, composed, orchestrated and conducted by my dear wife, Kat, and =
executed by a wonderful community of magicians, contains many sections. But=
 the most resonant of is the WildStore which contains the heart of our mess=
age -- representative recordings from sites covering much of the planet and=
 an arc of time that spans 45 years in the field.

> In the Soundscape section, for instance, and aside from my own work, biop=
honies from the Arctic (Martyn Stewart, Kevin Colver, and me), to the Antar=
ctic (Doug Quin), to the Amazon (David Monacchi), to the American Southwest=
 desert (Jack Hines), to the American Northeast (Ruth Happel), also example=
s of Borneo, Sumatra, New Zealand, Fiji, and the Galapagos, among others, c=
an be found. Especially remarkable for its lyricism and quality is a brand =
new and rare recording by Volker Widmann titled "Dawn in the Black Forest."=
 This is truly a masterpiece. No less astonishing is the observation that a=
bout half of the recordings in my archive and album collection are from hab=
itats so compromised by human endeavor, that the biophonies can no longer b=
e heard in any recognizable form.

> Other sections include music related to or inspired by natural soundscape=
s such as "Meridian," an album of soundscapes and music (by former Peter Ga=
briel keyboardist and Wyndham Hill artist, Phil Aaberg) following spring as=
 it moved north 16 miles (30km) a day along the 111 meridian; Native Voices=
, a collection of music and stories from groups closely linked to natural w=
orld experience like the Nez Perce, Ba'Aka, and Yup'ik eskimos; A Children'=
s title; and a new Special Collection segment that features species-specifi=
c birds from the American West (Kevin Colver).

> As for my bioacoustic work, my first field recordings were made in 1968 u=
sing a Nagra IVs and Schoeps XY systems, and were incorporated as component=
s of orchestration for a synthesizer music album my late music partner, Pau=
l Beaver, and I were doing for Warner Brothers, a title called "In a Wild S=
anctuary," the first music composition to  express the theme of ecology. In=
 1981, the same year I earned my PhD with an internship in bioacoustics, I =
did my first digital recording using a Sony beta version called the F1 in W=
yoming, We also beta-tested the Sony DAT recorders in the mid-1980s switchi=
ng to MS (Sennheiser) and transitional digital formats (DAT) in the latter =
half of that decade. By January, 2002, I was experimenting with double MS s=
ystems at Gray Lodge Wildlife Refuge (N. of Sacramento).