Cornell University Macaulay Library available online

Subject: Cornell University Macaulay Library available online
From: "Robin Whittle" robin_whittle
Date: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:48 pm ((PST))
http://macaulaylibrary.org
http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/Jan13/MacaulayDigital.html
http://www.pressoffice.cornell.edu/releases/release.cfm?r=3D71961&y=3D2013&=
m=3D1

>From the press release of 2013-01-15:

Decades of amazing wildlife sounds finally ready for all ears
World=E2=80=99s largest natural sound archive now fully digital and fully o=
nline

ITHACA, N.Y. =E2=80=93 "In terms of speed and the breadth of material now
accessible to anyone in the world, this is really revolutionary," says
audio curator Greg Budney, describing a major milestone just achieved by
the Macaulay Library archive at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.

All archived analog recordings in the collection, going back to 1929,
have now been digitized and can be heard at http://www.MacaulayLibrary.org.

"This is one of the greatest research and conservation resources at the
Cornell Lab," said Budney. "And through its digitization we've swung the
doors open on it in a way that wasn=E2=80=99t possible 10 or 20 years ago."

It took archivists a dozen years to complete the monumental task. The
collection contains nearly 150,000 digital audio recordings equaling
more than 10 terabytes of data with a total run time of 7,513 hours.
About 9,000 species are represented. There=E2=80=99s an emphasis on birds, =
but
the collection also includes sounds of whales, elephants, frogs,
primates and more.

"Our audio collection is the largest and the oldest in the world,"
explained Macaulay Library director Mike Webster. "Now, it's also the
most accessible. We=E2=80=99re working to improve search functions and crea=
te
tools people can use to collect recordings and upload them directly to
the archive. Our goal is to make the Macaulay Library as useful as
possible for the broadest audience possible."

  - Robin

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: