1. Re: Sonels, splashing and phising?

Subject: 1. Re: Sonels, splashing and phising?
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:44 pm ((PST))
Yes, David, I know what you mean and meant in your earlier postings
and I like the words, as you know. I wanted two things: 1/ If you had
any news about it and 2/ that the words don't drown.
I still don't understand splashing, though.

About impedance matching, I am sitting on my hands...

Klas.

At 01:50 2012-12-27, you wrote:
> > Can you refresh us all about sonels and splashing and how you look
> > upon the words now?
>
>Klas,
>
>A sonel is a "sound pixel" in a stereo image. The number of distinct
>sonels you can hear across the sound image gives the "resolution" of
>the stereo image in the same way that the number of different pixels
>define the resolution of a picture image.
>
>Sonels give a way of describing how the sound image is laid out,
>especially with a walkaround test like my shakin' peanuts.
>
>The very minimum is three sonels - left, centre and right, but that is
>a poor stereo image. If you can hear the directions of the in-between
>sonels, that's a five sonel image and the next stage would be nine
>sonels which is getting good, but the sonels are often not evenly
>spaced.
>
>"Splashing" is simply when a sound appears on the wrong side as well
>as where it should be. An example would be a bird whose lower
>frequencies are heard on the left but its high trills are also on the
>right.
>
>I get splashing with my crossed gunmics, caused by side lobes, and M-S
>rigs can also give splashing with sound objects outside the "sweet
>area" in the front of the mics when left and right tend to get out of
>phase.
>
>David
>
>David Brinicombe
>North Devon, UK
>Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce

Telinga Microphones, Botarbo,
S-748 96 Tobo, Sweden.
Phone & fax int + 295 310 01
email: