5. Re: was: What is a good nature sound recording?

Subject: 5. Re: was: What is a good nature sound recording?
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:33 am ((PST))
> I think that digital gain control after the converters might only be found in
> extremely cheap recorders. I believe that at least all the models that I
> tested so far have their recording level controls in the analog signal path
> before the converters.

That's good to know.

> The impression that there was a digital gain control after the converter
> might originate from the digitally controlled analog attenuators in those
> recorders that adjust the recording level through buttons from the menu.

Yes; they could be using digitally stepped analog attenuators, or digitally
stepped preamp gain, which would be the best way. Maybe this is a non-issue. I
see post-converter gain adjustment (if it exists in any recorder) as equivalent
to "digital zoom" in cameras, where it is common. Does anybody know for sure a
recorder that uses post-converter gain adjustment? Maybe I made it up.

In any case, knowing the gain control setting below which a clipped input
signal starts to drop below 0 dBFS would be useful--whether it's preamp
clipping or converter clipping. That's the point below which turning it down
won't help.

I remember in 1964 when someone loaned me a pair of Neumann mics for an
orchestra recording. The sound was distorted when the brass played, no matter
what recording level I set. I learned about preamp clipping too late to save
that recording!

-Dan