Re: New Olympus LS Recorders

Subject: Re: New Olympus LS Recorders
From: "vickipowys" vpowys
Date: Fri Nov 9, 2012 2:51 pm ((PST))
Hi Chris,

I have the LS10, and it was Raimund who pointed out that you get a
better S/N ratio by setting the recorder on LOW sensitivity with
maximum volume (10) and if necessary increasing the volume up to say
7 dB in post production.  I tested this out  numerous times against
various HIGH sensitivity settings and yes, it certainly checks out.
For normal everyday birdsong recording it is hard to get the recorder
to clip on 'low 10' so it is quite a useful default setting.  It may
not be sensitive enough for general recording with built in mics, but
works a treat when using add-on mics.

There may also be occasions where your subject matter has a soft
call, in which case you may be better to use HIGH sensitivity, up to
volume 5.  Anything more than that and things are getting too hissy.

Vicki