8. Re: What is a good nature sound recording?

Subject: 8. Re: What is a good nature sound recording?
From: "Peter Shute" pshute2
Date: Mon Nov 5, 2012 11:21 am ((PST))
Klas's original, reworded question was '"What characterizes "all the other =
recordings on Soundcloud, that
people say are so good"?', and this was in relation to people describing th=
e recordings they'd like to make when they request advice on buying equipme=
nt.

I can guarantee none of them are thinking about written descriptions of sou=
nds.

I assume most people mean that they don't want it to sound like the recordi=
ngs they made on their phone or their old cassette recorder. They want it t=
o sound clear and natural. They know about background hiss and wind noise, =
but don't know what to buy to eliminate them to their satisfaction.

And most importantly, they don't know what is the least they can spend to a=
chieve it - it's relatively easy to do if one spends a lot of money, so lon=
g as one doesn't buy inappropriate equipment, but it's harder to find the c=
heapest way. Do I need this $1000 recorder, or will this $300 Sony they're =
all talking about do the job? Do I need a Sennheiser microphone, or will I =
be happy with these $10 capsules some on the list are using?

Perhaps it's not so hard for those in the sound industry when they decide t=
o try nature recording for the first time, but it's very hard for us who ha=
ve no experience with any equipment at all.

Peter Shute