Re: A strange thing happened when I went to my cupboard today!

Subject: Re: A strange thing happened when I went to my cupboard today!
From: "Max" oatcruncher
Date: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:01 am ((PDT))
Hi Umashankar,
Many thanks for your confirmation of the quality of this mic! It's odd that=
 you mention the battery fall-off problem, because when I first connected m=
ine I noticed a drop in response and realised I'd connected an old battery.=
 On replacing with a new one it was immediately apparent that there was a l=
arge improvement in gain.
The proper batteries for theses are still available in the UK from these pe=
ople:
http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_a1611.htm
but as you'll see they're not cheap. I'm not sure if they're available in t=
he States.
Cheers
Max

--- In  umashankar <> wrote:

> the cm 300 is a wonderful microphone! i made myself a battery pack out of=
 three rechargeable packs, the kind used in computer real time clocks (nowa=
days they use a single lithium cell, but these packs are still available in=
 india). i used to recharge the pack on a nine volt charger.)
> =A0
> about the only complaint i ever=A0 had about these mics is their sensitiv=
ity starts falling with low battery voltage. in mic builders there are desi=
gns to convert them to phantom power.
> =A0
> umashankar
>

> >________________________________

 I'd never used! A couple of years back at a society=A0 meet, there was thi=
s mic lying on the table, which nobody had bought by the end of the day, so=
 I did. Having checked the files here, I know that one or two of you are fa=
miliar with this beast; a Nakamichi CM-300. Now, either because of cost, or=
 unavailability of the original=A0 battery, the owner had drilled a hole in=
 the side of the mic, through which came a couple leads taped to the cylind=
er, and leading to a 9v PP9 battery connector. For those who don't know, th=
is is an electret condenser mic with interchangeable capsules. It comes sup=
plied with a cardioid and omni, and in form it's a short shotgun. ALSO, wit=
h my purchase was included a CP-4 long shotgun capsule which is used by rem=
oving the attenuator housing from the CM-300 and replacing with the CP-4; v=
ery neat! Now, the best part about this is that although it's an XLR
>  output from the mic body, it terminates in a jack plug.
> >I decided to do a quick test using my LS-10's mic input, and frankly I w=
as extremely surpised. This is an apparently very quiet mic, although I wil=
l have to do further testing, but what it means is, that I will have three =
quality mics I can use with my LS-10 WITHOUT the need for phantom power! OK=
, it's only mono, but for a walkabout set-up would suit me, and I wish I'd =
found it before I ordered the iRig! More work to do of course, and I'll upd=
ate when completed.