great idea about the car horn David, I made a recording this

Subject: great idea about the car horn David, I made a recording this
morning (no bikes), exact same location, first with my engine revving
loudly then with my car horn blaring, at 100 metres.  (It felt awful
to be making such blaring noise and I imagined other neighbours might
come running, but when I compared the levels against the 2-stroke
bike noise, well, there is just no comparison!!)

Here is a link to the car horn and revving at 100 metres, using
exactly same recording gear, settings, location, as for the bike.

http://snd.sc/OqFohV

As for 'normal' traffic David, well there is usually none at all, so
very hard to measure, other than my own car revving which hardly even
registered, at 100 metres.

I do have some recordings of several 4-stroke motorbikes riding along
with the 2-stroke bike, so this could be used for comparative
purposes also.  The 4-stroke levels are very low in comparison.

Re your comment David, that 'the owner as knocked out the inside of
the silencer', yes it does sound like that to me, I think the bike is
even noisier than regular 2-stroke bikes.  Someone suggested it was a
special type of bike used for trick riding.  The boy who rides it is
13 years old and he delights in revving it to the max.

More shortly, on Australian noise regulations.

Vicki