Re: Making a parabola (was Swallow roost)

Subject: Re: Making a parabola (was Swallow roost)
From: "freitojos" freitojos
Date: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:06 am ((PDT))
Hi Martin,
http://vzone.virgin.net/ljmayes.mal/var/parabola.htm
This site uses one exel to make parabolic reflectors using plane segments, =
I have used this exel in my two parabolic microphones one with 40cm diamete=
r another with 60cm.
You put in the exel the diameter the number of raws, (more raws more precio=
n I have used 10 raws), and the focal distance. After that you design in a =
cardboard one section of the parabola. Next step you cut in cardboard all t=
he sections.Then you unify all the sections with tape. Next step you put th=
e paper parabola in a place over sand to sustain it, then you put inside cl=
ay and let it dry over a day.
    Atention, with larger than 60 cm parabolas cardboard, I suspect is not =
a good choice,80 cm is a huge parabola and the clay is heavy, aluminium foi=
l or a more rigid material maybe, is better.
At last you use a straight knife with two hands over the surface to cut out=
 the paper and make the interior surface in clay.
Now you have the clay mold, then you must put over it the fiberglass, at le=
ast tree times.
After you must destroy the mold,unfortunately, at least in my experience, y=
ou have the parabola.
Regards,
Jos=E9

--- In  "MARTIN" <> wrot=
e:

> Hi Jose and David,
>
> I'd be really interested to hear about your project making an 80cm diamet=
er parabola. I'd like a large enough parabola to successfully record cormor=
ants nesting on a tall cliff not far from me here in north Wales. The cormo=
rants have quite low frequency calls starting at about 400Hz. Any ideas as =
to how large a dish I'd need?

> Is it easy to make one using fibreglass? I'm not very practical - any adv=
ice much appreciated!

> Best wishes,
>
> Martin
>

> --- In  "freitojos" <josefreitas81@> wro=
te:

> > David,
> > Your technical points are never boring. To me it is very important to f=
ully understant what I am doing. Maybe you could said something (tchnical o=
r not) about my project to construct in fiberglass one 80cm diameter parabo=
la?