Re: AT4022 in Parallel Boundary Array - Equalization necessary for b

Subject: Re: AT4022 in Parallel Boundary Array - Equalization necessary for b
From: "freitojos" freitojos
Date: Mon Sep 3, 2012 4:38 pm ((PDT))
Marc,huge variety of sounds in a beautiful soundscape, very impressive. Int=
eresting that to my ears some elements of some sounds are similar of other =
sounds made here in south Europe and those are far away from Nepal and I th=
ink made by other species.
Congratulations,
Jos=E9
--- In  "rock_scallop" <> w=
rote:

> Hi Marc,
> Great recording by the way. Nice broad spacial qualities on both headphon=
es and monitors.

> The specific location setting lends to a low noise feeling: the high freq=
uency insect band around 8k creates a strong mask to the mic self-noise in =
the frequencies above.  However, I do not expect this quality will convey i=
n all the natural settings you may be interested in recording.

> There is a prominent rumble or pulsing down around 50 Hz that I find dist=
racting. While checking in mono I hear this problem even more noticeably as=
 the in-phase components sum. This could be addressed by basic parametric e=
q - or with MS processing attenuating the Mid component only.

> A SASS type array would certainly change the overall dynamics, though I a=
m not sure about how it would affect oomph in the mid to low.

> What recorder did you use?
>
> John Hartog
> rockscallop.org
>

> --- In  "mrmarcanderson" <marc@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > after some great tips from this group in 2011, I have been spending the=
 last 12 months or so exploring various techniques in the field and in post=
-processing and gradually I am learning how to get results I am happy with.=

> > I would really appreciate some feedback on some of my tracks - especial=
ly the 'unedited Bardia sample' which was recorded in Bardia National Park,=
 Nepal, earlier this year.

> > http://soundcloud.com/marcanderson/unedited-bardia-sample
> >
> > I am using 2 x AT4022's in a DIY parallel boundary array I made and I a=
m interested in how this setup sounds to your trained ears.

> > When compared with a number of other nature soundscapes I have listened=
 to, my recordings seem to have strong high frequency sounds and low noise,=
 but less ooomph in the mid to low range. Would this be as a result of my p=
arallel boundary setup? Would a SASS change these dynamics?

> > Other questions:
> >
> > Does it need equalizing?
> >
> > The low frequency noise at <100Hz, is this acceptable to you or would y=
ou attenuate it and if so by how much? (I have included a spectrogram as th=
e thumbnail for the track above on soundcloud)

> > Is there anything I could do to improve the sound before I start market=
ing some of my recordings?

> > Thanks in advance for any comments/ help you can offer.
> >

> > Marc Anderson

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: