13. Re: Miniature Pseudo-SASS Array

Subject: 13. Re: Miniature Pseudo-SASS Array
From: "" richard.ho=
cks
Date: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:39 pm ((PDT))

=0D
Sent from my BlackBerry=AE by dtac.=0D
=0D
-----Original Message-----=0D
From: Klas Strandberg <>=0D
Sender: =0D
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 23:49:38 =0D
To: <>=0D
Subject: RE: [Nature Recordists] Re: Miniature Pseudo-SASS Array=0D
=0D
At 23:27 2012-08-13, you wrote:=0D
>While we're on the subject of SASS noses, can anyone explain to me =0D
>why the nose is tapered down on the top?=0D
=0D
I have never thought of it as anything else than a mechanical issue. =0D
The audio impact of the plastic cover can only have a marginal effect.=0D
=0D
>And is there a generic name for this style of array? SASS is a =0D
>commercial name, so I guess one should only call it a SASS if it's a =0D
>genuine one.=0D
=0D
I am not sure. I have never heard of it as an "acoustic principle".=0D
The SASS was a patent by Crown which also included the PZM mounting =0D
of the capsule.=0D
(A diaphragm facing a hard surface). It is developed to hang on a =0D
wall, or lay on a floor. In general that means a 6db gain at all =0D
present frequencies (the SASS + the floor) and a bit more side at mid =0D
and high frequencies caused by SASS reflections. Some level stereo at =0D
similar frequencies is caused by the nose. I cannot imagine that the =0D
proportions or foam material is that critical. Small changes in the =0D
design will cause small changes of freq. handling.=0D
=0D
Klas.=0D
=0D
=0D