recorders with alarm function (file playback) and timer for recordin

Subject: recorders with alarm function (file playback) and timer for recordin
From: "stan_rullman" stan_rullman
Date: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:17 pm ((PDT))
Hi, I'm dragging this post by oryoki (Message #44529-copied below) from las=
t year out of the archives with a new question.

I have an Olympus LS-7 and finally got around to programming it using the "=
alarm" feature, selecting a file for playback, followed by the timer set to=
 record. I am trying to asses the efficacy of this approach as an autonomou=
s wildlife inventory and survey tool (including for small owl species in ur=
ban forest fragments).

However, when setting up the alarm for playback, it starts with an actual a=
larm sound (loud beeping) that then overrides the playback file (unless I c=
lick the OK button during that time). The manual states that "The alarm wil=
l sound for five minutes and then stop. In such a case, even if a file is s=
elected for Alarm Playback, it will not be automatically played."

If I click on the OK button during that alarm period, it will play the file=
, but that defeats (for my needs) the purpose of the timer for playback- wh=
o thought that would be a good idea for any purpose?!?!?. The manual also n=
otes that formatting the device will erase the alarm sounds as well, so I t=
ried that, but then all three alarms end up being the same simple beeping, =
rather than the ringtone-type alarm sounds that it comes equipped with.

Do anyone know of a way around this, so that there is no "alarm"sound- just=
 the selected playback file? Or should I try the Yamaha Pocketrak c24 or w2=
4 (which if I read the manual correctly, does not play an alarm sound).

Thanks!
Stan

Stan Rullman, Ph.D.
wildlife/conservation biologist
http://soundcloud.com/sound-conservation

posted by oryoki- May 18, 2011

I have particular interest in field recorders that can start and stop recor=
ding
based on an internal timer. I see by recent posts that a few other nature
recordists do as well!

At present, in my opinion, the field recorders with the most sophisticated =
timed
recording features are the Olympus LS-7 (about $200) and the Yamaha Pocketr=
ak
W24 (about $300). These two recorders offer slightly different timed record=
ing
features.

Let's start with the LS-7. It offers three timer presets, enabling you to m=
ake
timed recordings up to three times in the same day. Recordings can be set f=
or a
single session, or to repeat on a daily or weekly schedule.

The LS-7 allows you to set timer record mode (PCM, MP3, or WMA) and bitrate=
, mic
sensitivity, and which folder to use to store the resulting file. The LS-7 =
will
use these settings regardless of the way the recorder is set when the recor=
ding
starts.

In addition to timed recording, the LS-7 offers timed playback of a recorde=
file. You specify the time and the volume of the playback.

The Yamaha W24 offers many of the same features of the LS-7, plus the abili=
ty to
select days of the week for timed recording. For example, the W24 could be =
set
to make timed recordings on Monday, Wednesday and Friday each week.

Considering cost, preamp quality and features, I find the LS-7 to be a bett=
er
choice for timed recording. The ability to schedule three recording periods=
 in
the same day can be useful. You might also schedule playback of a recording=
 of
a target species, and then record the sounds that follow in the next few
minutes.

--oryoki