1. Re: Foam for SASS

Subject: 1. Re: Foam for SASS
From: "John Crockett" naturalcontemplative
Date: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:14 pm ((PDT))
I returned the green foam since it was not performing up to this spec, and =
because it turned out to be nearly identical to some grey foam I had lying =
around that came as packaging material.

I took a little drive to Charlestown, NH today to a fabric and upholstery s=
tore called Frank's on a recommendation from a clerk at a local hardware st=
ore. They had piles of foam scraps used for chair and mattress padding. The=
y had several types of foam, the most dense being called "extra firm." This=
 felt about right to me so I bought a little $3.00 scrap that is just right=
 for the array. It weighs in at 2.5 lbs/cu ft, and the attenuation of a 2 k=
Hz signal comes in at 3 dB/inch. So I have something to work with as soon a=
s I can work out the mounting of a pair of AT3032 mics. Can't seem to find =
the right pipe fitting for them.

I really, really hope to come home from the Bay of Fundy this August with s=
ome recordings to share from this project.

Thanks to everyone who shared their experience on this.

John Crockett
Westminster, VT

--- In  Paul Jacobson <> wrote:

> The SASS patent indicates that the foam for the nose should attenuate fre=
quencies above 1200hz by at least 3dB per inch. All you need to do is test =
for that property.

> cheers
> Paul
>
> On 12/07/2012, at 5:42 AM, Peter Shute wrote:
>

> > It would be good if someone could come up with an objective test for id=
entifying this stuff. I was told I should be able to blow through it, but w=
ith more difficulty than with medium density foam, which I wouldn't call an=
 objective test unless I had several samples to compare.