6. Re: Foam for SASS foam info

Subject: 6. Re: Foam for SASS foam info
From: "vickipowys" vpowys
Date: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:37 pm ((PDT))
Re the foam:

I am puzzled, how can John Crockett's green foam be specified at 1.5
pounds per cubic foot, if his scrap green piece 4 x 6 x 9 inches
weighing 125 grams would, as a cubic foot, actually equal around 2.2
pounds?  (if I did my maths right :-)

John's green foam piece was approx. the same weight-for-size as my
grey piece.

The original Crown SASS foam weighs the same as my grey piece.

Rob Danielson was using 1.5 to 1.7 pounds per cubic foot density foam.

I guess it is hard to accurately weigh a small piece of foam, so
maybe some variations have occurred because of that.

But if the weights of the smaller pieces was accurate, then this
suggests John Hartog's link to the Grainger charcoal foam of 2 pounds
per cubic foot would be the closest match to the original Crown SASS
foam.

Vicki Powys
Australia